Gun size

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Gun size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun size

I have recently just started shooting and was given a gun by a mate after a day shooting pheasants my shoulder was bruised to bits when I read up about it, it said the gun must be to small, what's the best way to measure if it's the right size for me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Welcome to the forum. When you get a moment, drop by the intro thread, and say hekko.

In the meantime, sounds like they are referring to the fit of the stock of a shotgun. To make a REALLY long story brief, there are sveral variables in the shape of a shotgun stock, one of them being the "length of pull"-measurement from trigger to butt of gun.

A gun that is too short will end up not being snugly, firmly pulled into the pocket of the shoulder, with the result that the gun will slap to snot out of you when you pull the trigger.

No cure for that, so just box it up and send to me, C3Shooter, at PO Box.....

OK- just kidding- put the shotgun down, already!

For a rough check, hold UNLOADED gun with right arm bent, finger on trigger, butt at bend of elbow. Butt should be at your bicep. Significant gap, too short.

Second check- shoulder the gun, have 2nd person check space from thumb of right hand (fingers on trigger) to your nose. Should be about 1.5 inches.

Short stock can be remedied by adding a recoil pad. Use a slip-on pad. Shim it with cardboard until you find length that is right for you.

Fewer black and blue marks, and you will hit more birds. PS- a shotgun must be pulled snugly into pocket of shoulder before pulling trigger, or it will mark you. Get someone to observe and coach your shooting form.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I have to disagree intensely with the bent arm fit check method. Everyone's arms are not proportioned the same relative to shoulder width, neck, etc. I have a buddy who by this method can barely scrunch his wrist enough to reach the trigger because his arms are so long, using his professionally fitted gun, just as an example. None of my guns fit by this method either.
Second method is closer.
What kind of clothes were you wearing? What kind of gun was it, what kind of butt pad did it have on it, and what loads were you shooting? If it was a Super Black Eagle One with 3-1/2" loads, or an Ithaca Featherlight with a plastic buttplate and heavy loads, and you were in shirtsleeves, I would say the results were quite normal. Are you pulling the gun into your shoulder firmly before you shoot?
A lot goes in to what one's shoulder ends up looking like.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

How many rounds did you fire? If it was alot fit doesn't really matter it's gonna hurt. If it wasn't alot yeah you need to figure out the right length you need or to really pull that butt against your shoulder snugly.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdaddy View Post
How many rounds did you fire? If it was alot fit doesn't really matter it's gonna hurt. If it wasn't alot yeah you need to figure out the right length you need or to really pull that butt against your shoulder snugly.
i does matter, from past experiance doing a lot of sporting clays shooting years ago, we would shoot between 100-200 rounds a weekend and my shoulder was never sore from shooting. a properly fitting gun and a good recoil pad will make all the difference it felt recoil.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i does matter, from past experiance doing a lot of sporting clays shooting years ago, we would shoot between 100-200 rounds a weekend and my shoulder was never sore from shooting. a properly fitting gun and a good recoil pad will make all the difference it felt recoil.
I've never had a sore shoulder after a long day of shotgunning either. Those familiar with a MS dove season will tell you, it's done mostly in shirt sleeves.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

My fellow Virginian and I are not really in disagreement- the "bent arm" check is only a first, very rough check. As he said, clothing worn, body proportions, etc, ALL will have a bearing. I know one gent with little, short arms, LONG neck. A fit for him is rather weird.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #8

I must have crappy recoil pads my shoulder is always a little sore the next day, nothing horrible and it loosens up after about an hour but I always wonder wtf I did when I first wake up. Of course having a bum shoulder probably doesn't help.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdaddy View Post
I must have crappy recoil pads my shoulder is always a little sore the next day, nothing horrible and it loosens up after about an hour but I always wonder wtf I did when I first wake up. Of course having a bum shoulder probably doesn't help.
a good recoil pad will make a lot of difference in the felt recoil and how your shoulder feels the next day. if you have a bad shoulder, check out Brownell's for some of the recoil reducers they have for shotguns, might be something to look into.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Good idea thanks. Lol my bro completely destroyed my shoulder at a young age(tore it outta socket and ripped up my rotator cuff) and I never had surgery on it I've been able to deal with it but as I get older it just gets worse and worse.