Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Great Article/Review on Mossberg 930 SPX (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/great-article-review-mossberg-930-spx-38214/)

FCross7 02-09-2011 06:23 PM

Great Article/Review on Mossberg 930 SPX

I was browsing earlier looking for info and reviews on the 930 SPX and found an article that starts off as a great review, and then shows some great mods and accessories for the practical shotgunner, people doing 3-gun, as well as someone who wants a nice HD shotgun.

It's somewhat of a lengthy article, but well worth the read IMO. Part way through I decided I'm definitely getting a 930 SPX, and it gave me some great ideas on a couple mods I'd like to do as well. You can tell from the pictures throughout the article that this guy is getting some serious use out of this shotgun. It progressively goes from a nice shiny new shotgun, to getting all scratched and banged up towards the end. Hope you guys find it useful.

Here's the link:

Mossberg 930 SPX Review

-Fred

DarinCraft 02-14-2011 04:26 AM

Thanks for the post...I'm a little disappointed this didn't even get a thanks for taking the time. One day if I ever get another evil black shotty it will be the 930 or an 1100.

doctherock 02-14-2011 04:29 AM

Thanks for the post. Good stuff.

dunerunner 02-14-2011 04:32 AM

Just added another gun to the list. Thank you Mr. Cross!! Great review at the link BTW!!

doctherock 02-14-2011 05:23 AM

I would like to try one before I buy one. Just to see if the recoil is as bad as it looks when firing rapid bursts.

FCross7 02-15-2011 03:21 AM

Thanks guys. It definitely gave me a lot of insight and helped to make up my mind on my next shotgun purchase. Thought it may do the same for someone else.

I always try to post up interesting stuff like this whenever I find it.

-Fred

FCross7 02-15-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctherock (Post 444944)
I would like to try one before I buy one. Just to see if the recoil is as bad as it looks when firing rapid bursts.

I've been doing a good bit of reading on them, and it seems a lot of people have gotten them from Dick's. So if you've got a Dick's near you, that could possibly at least give you an opportunity to hold one and see what you think.

Some people say that the ghost ring sights are too high, others say they're too low. Personally, when I take a squared up stance with a shotgun with a beat sight, it strains my neck to get a good sight picture, so I'm thinking the higher sights might be better for me.

-Fred

doctherock 02-15-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 445688)
I've been doing a good bit of reading on them, and it seems a lot of people have gotten them from Dick's. So if you've got a Dick's near you, that could possibly at least give you an opportunity to hold one and see what you think.

Some people say that the ghost ring sights are too high, others say they're too low. Personally, when I take a squared up stance with a shotgun with a beat sight, it strains my neck to get a good sight picture, so I'm thinking the higher sights might be better for me.

-Fred

I'm right there with you. Hurts my neck to line up with the BB sight on my Mossy 500 persuader.

FCross7 02-16-2011 09:33 PM

For anyone wandering, I contacted my local Dick's and the 930 SPX is a regularly stocked item, and retails at $630.

I checked at a local gun store and they have them marked at $699, so as soon as I get some money saved up, I'm gonna see if the gun store will go below $630. If not I'll be making a trip to Dick's.

-Fred

FCross7 02-17-2011 04:51 AM

I held one this morning while waiting on the paperwork for my 1911. Bad idea. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can afford one; thinking about selling one of my rifles that doesn't see much range time.

-Fred