goodbye to my mossberg..hello remington maybe...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > goodbye to my mossberg..hello remington maybe...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default goodbye to my mossberg..hello remington maybe...

Ok ok.... I have like my mossberg 500. Only had it for a few months and dove season. 1 duck hunt and I'm through with it. It just doesn't shoot patterns as well as my buddies camo remington 870. Maybe its just this one gun because I know they get good reviews. I have shot both side by side with the same ammo and the 870 just packed a lot more punch on target. My buddy agrees. So farewell to my mossberg I'll still miss it. Anyone else agree? Maybe just a single gun problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2009, 03:31 AM   #2

Default or

another buddy has a bennelli he got for around $400.00. Any other waterfowl guns for under $500? I'm leaning to the 870.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Me and my Mossy can keep up with the 870's. Without knowing what kind of set up you have with your 500, I can't offer anything. Same exact set up with your buddy's 870?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #4

I have 3 shotguns and love each one. I use an 870 Wingmaster for all my birding and have zero complaints other than my own personal ability on certain days. I use a Stoeger P350 for Turkey/Deer and I think it is a great value. It came with 5 chokes in the box and I've never had any issues with it, just don't use it for birds becasue I have that beautiful Wingmaster. I have a Benelli Nova as well but that bad boy stays at home with it's 18" barrell to take care of the night time creepy-crawlies.

If you're going to miss your Mossy so much why not just keep it?

I would recommend you at least look at the Stoeger if you can find one.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I love all the facts and non-subjective conclusions. I'm a Remington fan, but how did you decide the Mossberg isn't patterning as well, or hitting as hard? Did you actually shoot some patterns? What chokes are in both guns?

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #6

Default ok

Ya, it is kinda subjective of me I agree. They both have modified chokes in them. I have shot birds at much farther length when using his gun than mine would touch. I guess I could set up a target and count the pattern. We went prairie dog hunting once and his gun peppered that entire hole. Mine barely pushed up dust. Weird I know. In general his just has way better range. Maybe I'm crazy.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #7

I'm a shotgun man....
So I wouldn't sell any of my shotguns.
I say keep the Mossberg, but buy a Rem 870.

I was at a Pumpkin Shoot last weekend, plenty of Mossbergs in the competition, but none made it to the trophy match. The trophy match was represented by Remington, Winchester & Benelli.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #8

you could just buy a 10 gage

Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Again, I ask if the Mossy is same set-up as the 870? Just the slightest difference in barrel length, ammo selection, choke and other factors can make a big difference.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 11-11-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #10

Default setup

the setup is the same as far as chokes and ammo. both using modified chokes. His is a 870 rem. I'm going to change to full choke for tomorrows duck hunt.