Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   A good shotgun in seattle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/good-shotgun-seattle-24514/)

Monchan 03-11-2010 01:40 PM

A good shotgun in seattle?

Hey there! My name's Monchan and I'm new to the forums! I'm a complete newb about gun mechanics and details. I have been privileged in the past to try a variety of guns. However, in terms of shotguns I am a complete newb. I live in Hawaii, and here guns are a real pain to get, let alone horrid shooting/hunting areas. Therefore, this spring break, I'm going to go to the west coast (specifically LA and Seattle). Could you guys help me out on getting a cheap shotgun? All I'm gonna get to do is probably shoot at some wooden targets, so the cheapest will do. Also, are there any shops in Seattle that you would recommend? Thank you very much in advance!

ScottG 03-11-2010 06:33 PM

Check out Big 5 sporting goods, there are plenty of stores in the Seattle area. Plenty in southern California too. I don't know what it takes to get a state id, but I doubt if you're just going to visit and not relocate there, that you'd even be able to buy a gun.

WalMart may sell some too. It depends what you're after. You can find a NEF Pardner for around $100, but they're single shot. Big 5 has also had NEF Pardner pump actions for around $225.

dunerunner 03-11-2010 06:53 PM

Good Luck, if you have a Hawaii drivers license and try to buy a firearm in Washington, Oregon or California!! I doubt it is going to happen for ya.

I would suggest you drop by the Introductions section of the forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Which one of the Islands are you from, you know Da Kine, Bra da?

stalkingbear 03-11-2010 06:57 PM

What are you going to be using it for? Do you want a pump or single shot? Is it for shooting informal clay pigeons, hunting (what kind), and/or home defense? A Remington model 870 Express or a Mossberg model 500 would be the most versatile while keeping costs down and you'll still have interchangeable choke tubes (newer hunting models). If you want it for home defense then you'll want a shorter barrel (18"-20") than you would if you're going to shoot clay pigeons and hunting.

Monchan 03-11-2010 07:32 PM

I'm from the main island called Oahu.

I've read up on some stuff on the internet and it seems like most states allow purchasing of guns as long as you have a valid US ID.

In terms of the gun I am looking for... I don't really know haha. I just want to shoot a few targets that are mid to close range. As long as it's a fairly low price and usable, I'm all ears! It's my first shotgun, so I don't really know what to expect anyways haha.:p
Thanks in advance!

dunerunner 03-11-2010 07:55 PM

So, like stalkingbear said, what are you going to use it for? If your near Honolulu, please; say pigeons!! :D

Are you are going to shoot skeet or trap? Are you affiliated with a shooting range on the Island? Like maybe dis one Hawaii Gun Club and Waikiki Gun Shop & Indoor Range

ScottG 03-11-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monchan (Post 245945)
I've read up on some stuff on the internet and it seems like most states allow purchasing of guns as long as you have a valid US ID.

Well, if you got that information from the internet, then it must be true!!!! :p

But, my state will only allow residents of bordering states to purchase long guns. If your state isn't touching my state, no purchase. You must show an ID to handle guns, and if you show the wrong state's ID, they won't even let you touch them. Sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is.

If you go to California, they probably won't even let you look at it over the counter.... :D

Monchan 03-12-2010 05:05 AM

I'm only going to be shooting at some wooden targets and some old cans.

Haha, yea the internet is full of facts. Well, specifically, I went to the NRA-ILA site. It's says that "There are no state licensing requirements for the purchase of rifles or shotguns." for Seattle, but I guess that only means their state... So there'd be no way to get a shotgun then?... That suxxxx.... :(

DarinCraft 03-12-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monchan (Post 246260)
I'm only going to be shooting at some wooden targets and some old cans.

Haha, yea the internet is full of facts. Well, specifically, I went to the NRA-ILA site. It's says that "There are no state licensing requirements for the purchase of rifles or shotguns." for Seattle, but I guess that only means their state... So there'd be no way to get a shotgun then?... That suxxxx.... :(

If I am correct with my experiences in CA being consistent in any other state, you have to be a resident in the state of which you are trying to purchase a gun. This goes for long guns and hand guns. Heck in CA now you have to prove your residency with some type of supporting document other than your DL. I could be wrong though.

Monchan 03-12-2010 07:08 AM

What about Seattle?