Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Good shotgun for a female? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/good-shotgun-female-13990/)

Eileen 05-20-2009 02:12 AM

Good shotgun for a female?

Hey,

I have just joined a target shooters club and I am thinking of purchasing a shotgun for clay target shooting.
It is a little daunting for me to choose from the endless makes and models so I was hoping to get some advice.
First off, I am fairly tall at 5’10” and slight of build with not a huge amount of upper body strength (though I am working on it!) and long skinny arms.
I borrowed the club’s 12 gauge one over shotgun and I really liked that, but it was a tad on the heavy side. I think it was a Minoku?

Can anyone suggest a shotgun that would be suitable for me to do clay target shooting? I like the trap shooting but I am thinking of trying my hand at sporting or skeet as well – not sure if I can use the same type of gun for all these?

canebrake 05-20-2009 03:23 PM

Take a look at this:

Guns for Girls
Trap Gun on a budget « Gun Nuts Media
Shotgunworld.com • View topic - Baikal / SPR O/U, SxS,Single shot,& Pump Picture Thread
Trap Guns

matt g 05-20-2009 04:47 PM

I'd advise an O/U chambered in 16 ga. You'll probably want to test shoot first though, to see if it's going to be painful. Often times in skeet, you'll spend most of a day behind the butt of the gun, especially when practicing. I got into clays big time when my dad introduced me to them at age 14. We'd go out 2 or 3 times a month and spend the day burning through a case of bird shot and a few cases of clays. Even with proper shouldering I was sore for a few days afterward with a 20 ga.

If the 16 ga. is too much, step down to a 20 ga. or try a lighter load. Really, you should shoot as many guns as you can, in as many calibers as you can to see what works best for you.

I'm not at all familiar with Miroku, but Browning, Beretta and Citori all make nice over/under guns chambered in both 20 and 16 ga.

Rex in OTZ 05-20-2009 07:59 PM

Skeet

I have a question does skeet have to be shot useing a over under shotgun? could a light weight gas operated semi auto work as well I'm thinking Benelli makes a nice product
depending on which model they have adjustable stocks and the gas systems help soak up a little bit of the recoil.

matt g 05-20-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ (Post 107565)
I have a question does skeet have to be shot useing a over under shotgun? could a light weight gas operated semi auto work as well I'm thinking Benelli makes a nice product
depending on which model they have adjustable stocks and the gas systems help soak up a little bit of the recoil.

I started shooting with a Winchester 120 Youth, which is a pump gun. You can shoot skeet with whatever you'd like, it's just that the nice O/Us are buttery smooth and the triggers are usually pretty light and crisp.

This action makes follow up shots stay closer to target, so less movement is needed on the part of the shooter. With pumps, you have to rack the pump to get the next shell. With gas guns, there are moving internals that can upset the follow through. With an O/U, all you usually have to do is flip a switch or change triggers.

Another advantage, which is why you see double barreled, safari guns, is that there is nothing that can keep the 2nd shot from being fired, except a dud shell.

Virginian 05-21-2009 01:07 AM

I would definitely look at some gas operated semi autos. A 20 gauge semi should be lighter to handle and easy on the shoulder. I would at least look at the Remingtons and the Berettas. You can get a lot nicer semi for a lot less money than an over an under, too. I admit I am prejudiced, I simply can't abide over an unders.

rugermike 05-21-2009 09:01 PM

Stick with what shoots and handles best for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 107360)
Hey,

I have just joined a target shooters club and I am thinking of purchasing a shotgun for clay target shooting.
It is a little daunting for me to choose from the endless makes and models so I was hoping to get some advice.
First off, I am fairly tall at 5’10” and slight of build with not a huge amount of upper body strength (though I am working on it!) and long skinny arms.
I borrowed the club’s 12 gauge one over shotgun and I really liked that, but it was a tad on the heavy side. I think it was a Minoku?

Can anyone suggest a shotgun that would be suitable for me to do clay target shooting? I like the trap shooting but I am thinking of trying my hand at sporting or skeet as well – not sure if I can use the same type of gun for all these?

Given what you have supplied us with in information. I believe a nice 20ga CZ Woodcock and or a more expensive Ruger Number 1 in a 20gauge would be right up your alley. However, there are some on this and other sights that will disagree that you can shoot the same gun in trap, skeet and or field. BS if the gun fits you correctly it will. I have taught and fitted many shooters over the years and in my opinion, "If a gun fits you when mounting and sight picture, you will shoot it well no matter what game you are after or playing!" JMO
Feel free to e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss further. Good luck and happy shooting.;):)

matt g 05-23-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugermike (Post 107902)
Given what you have supplied us with in information. I believe a nice 20ga CZ Woodcock and or a more expensive Ruger Number 1 in a 20gauge would be right up your alley. However, there are some on this and other sights that will disagree that you can shoot the same gun in trap, skeet and or field. BS if the gun fits you correctly it will. I have taught and fitted many shooters over the years and in my opinion, "If a gun fits you when mounting and sight picture, you will shoot it well no matter what game you are after or playing!" JMO
Feel free to e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss further. Good luck and happy shooting.;):)

I never got the need for 3 guns either, but if all I was going to shoot was skeet and I had the money to blow, it would be on a nice O/U. Otherwise, I'd stick with an Rem 870 or Mossy 500.