A good semi auto shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > A good semi auto shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It doesn't have to be as tricked out as this one, but the Saiga 12 is awesome and eats anything!

tromix.jpg  

Old 08-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that everyone has had good luck with what they have at present. I personally shoot Remington 11-87 and love it dearly. The best thing to do is buy the gun that feels the best and drops to your line of sight the best. It is very hard for someone else to tell you what to buy, when each person is different.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a remington 1100 tac-2, because everyone was out of stock on the saiga-12 (and I was impatient). Now, one of my firearms dealers has the saiga back in, and I'm tempted to buy it as well. I say tempted, because it is a very tempting firearm, but it would mean I's have to give up my plans on a cetme or a 191a4 kit (neither of which I want to give up).

Anyway, I think you'll find equal lovers of the remingtons (1100's and 1187's), the benelli's, and the saiga's. They are each different from each other, but have more than enough followers/owners to know you're getting a good weapon.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #14

All things considered, it's tough to go wrong with Remington and Mossberg.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Bennelli does not work well with light field loads. It is recoil operated and more punishing than a gas operated gun.
As an experiment, I once fired several boxes of light field loads through both of my Benelli's, and didn't experience any malfunctions of any type.

However, even if your statement was correct, I'm curious as to why anybody would want to use light field loads in a defensive shotgun anyway. Everybody I know of that owns an M1, M2, M3 or M4---doesn't fire anything less than #4 buck, which cycles superbly in all of them.

Also, I'm not a very large individual, and I've never found the recoil of my Benelli's to be "punishing" at all. With some practice, it's not too difficult to fire eight rounds from a Benelli before the first empty cartridge hits the ground. It's highly improbable that one would be able to do that with a shotgun that had "punishing" recoil.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #16

Default Browning Auto 5

John Browning had it right, then and now. Remember this, the military is still using his 50 cal.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArMy_Of21 View Post
looking for a good semi auto shotgun mainly for recreation and home defense i kinda like the mossberg 935 magnum 12 guage autoloader

I believe you mean Mossberg 930. The 935 has a 3.5" chamber and will only cycle 3" 3.5' shells reliably. The 930 has a 3" chamber. Take a look at the 930 SPX if you can find one.

GC

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #18

I've got one of the Practical SX2 that take 3inch shells. It will eat anything. Great shotgun. I would highly recommend it. I'm making head shots on an IDPA target with slugs at 45-50 yards.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
While I would agree that the M3 is a nice weapon, and it WAS the world's fastest firing, that title has been taken by the folks at Winchester with the advent of their Super X3 platform. Winchester has had the title for at least one year, and I suspect, two since the X3 platform was out in '06.
I checked Winchester's 2008 catalog, and I don't believe they offer a Super X3 in a tactical model.

They're all hunting shotguns.

So I believe it's safe and accurate to say that Benelli still makes the fastest cycling tactical shotgun on the market.

Pat Flanigan's 12 rounds in 1.442 seconds with his Super X3 was indeed impressive. But please remember that he was using very light target loads, in a hunting shotgun with a barrel considerably longer than what you would find on a tactical shotgun.

If Flanigan shot 00 buck "full house" defensive loads from an X3 with a 18" barrel, he wouldn't be nearly as fast.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #20

The Remington 11-87 Police Special with the extended mag is kind'a big (to me - I'm used to pumps) but it is a great gun.

You can probably find one used in good condition to save a few bucks.

Those Saigas are certainly tempting............