Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Good reasons to buy mass production shottys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Good reasons to buy mass production shottys.

For many, HD is a good reason to buy a shotgun. Me, I live in a shotgun state. So, when I was looking at getting a shotgun over 20 years ago, I realized a few things.

1. The pumps are cheaper and the semis could fail in really cold weather due to the gas system.

2. Replacement barrels are abundant for the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

3. Choke tubes are a plenty for the same models.

Neither of these shotguns require special hard to get stuff. Neither of these shotguns will fail you, unless you mistreat it. They do need cleaning and oiling upon occasion at a minimum.

It was not hard for me to decide upon one shotgun for both home protection and hunting. Since I was a young man with not alot of money, I went with a Mossy 500A. I still use it for hunting deer and turkey, and I know it will be there if I need it in any situation.

Lovin' my Mossy,

skullcrusher

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A Mossberg 500 is my HD shotgun. The 18.5" barrel lives on it and I installed factory ghostring sights. It's my all purpose/go to long gun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks Skull. While this thread may seem simplistic to some, I know jack about shotguns and I've been considering getting a home defense gun.

Sounds like the Mossberg is just what I'm looking for...

Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well said. I've had my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years, and it's still puttin lead/steel downrange. Thinking of buying another...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Well said. I've had my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years, and it's still puttin lead/steel downrange. Thinking of buying another...
Indeed, I concur, the Mossy 500 12 gauge is hard to beat for a HD shotty, very reliable and simple.........and I know Jack.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 for the Mossy. I do have a couple of the 870 Remingtons, too.

But the Mossberg was first, and still is the one I reach for, for when things go bump in the night.

Around here, a couple stores have the Mossberg package deals, .410 to 12ga, with synthetic stock and 18.5" and 28" vent-rib barrels included, normally on sale for $199.

Take a good look at ones in your area, I've found that a couple of the 28" barrels did not come with extra chokes. At that price, it's still hard to beat, they are ultra-reliable, extra barrels are inexpensive, as are accessories. And if you need one in camo or stainless, they offer those, too.

Slo

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #7

i have a rem 870 12 gauge that i bought at a sporting goods store for 300 bucks and the easily available replacement parts/upgrades/choke tubes were a factor in my decision to buy a inexpensive mass produced shotty.

is it a one of a kind 5000 dollar custom made showpiece? no.

will it throw lead down range all day and night with no problems? yes.

mass produced maybe, but there is a reason the rem 870 and the mossy 500 are so popular. they are great shotguns.