Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Good reasons to buy mass production shottys. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/good-reasons-buy-mass-production-shottys-18668/)

skullcrusher 09-29-2009 10:43 PM

Good reasons to buy mass production shottys.

For many, HD is a good reason to buy a shotgun. Me, I live in a shotgun state. So, when I was looking at getting a shotgun over 20 years ago, I realized a few things.

1. The pumps are cheaper and the semis could fail in really cold weather due to the gas system.

2. Replacement barrels are abundant for the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

3. Choke tubes are a plenty for the same models.

Neither of these shotguns require special hard to get stuff. Neither of these shotguns will fail you, unless you mistreat it. They do need cleaning and oiling upon occasion at a minimum.

It was not hard for me to decide upon one shotgun for both home protection and hunting. Since I was a young man with not alot of money, I went with a Mossy 500A. I still use it for hunting deer and turkey, and I know it will be there if I need it in any situation. :cool:

Lovin' my Mossy,

skullcrusher

CA357 09-30-2009 02:55 AM

A Mossberg 500 is my HD shotgun. The 18.5" barrel lives on it and I installed factory ghostring sights. It's my all purpose/go to long gun.

NGIB 09-30-2009 11:11 AM

Thanks Skull. While this thread may seem simplistic to some, I know jack about shotguns and I've been considering getting a home defense gun.

Sounds like the Mossberg is just what I'm looking for...

suprdave 09-30-2009 12:59 PM

Well said. I've had my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years, and it's still puttin lead/steel downrange. Thinking of buying another...

IGETEVEN 09-30-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprdave (Post 167968)
Well said. I've had my Mossberg 500 for almost 20 years, and it's still puttin lead/steel downrange. Thinking of buying another...

Indeed, I concur, the Mossy 500 12 gauge is hard to beat for a HD shotty, very reliable and simple.........and I know Jack. ;)

Jack

slowryde45 09-30-2009 03:19 PM

+1 for the Mossy. I do have a couple of the 870 Remingtons, too.

But the Mossberg was first, and still is the one I reach for, for when things go bump in the night.

Around here, a couple stores have the Mossberg package deals, .410 to 12ga, with synthetic stock and 18.5" and 28" vent-rib barrels included, normally on sale for $199.

Take a good look at ones in your area, I've found that a couple of the 28" barrels did not come with extra chokes. At that price, it's still hard to beat, they are ultra-reliable, extra barrels are inexpensive, as are accessories. And if you need one in camo or stainless, they offer those, too.

Slo

jbshoots 09-30-2009 05:51 PM

i have a rem 870 12 gauge that i bought at a sporting goods store for 300 bucks and the easily available replacement parts/upgrades/choke tubes were a factor in my decision to buy a inexpensive mass produced shotty.

is it a one of a kind 5000 dollar custom made showpiece? no.

will it throw lead down range all day and night with no problems? yes.

mass produced maybe, but there is a reason the rem 870 and the mossy 500 are so popular. they are great shotguns.