good mods/accs
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > good mods/accs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default good mods/accs

I recently bought a mossberg 500a and im wondering what upgrades are worth my time and money? I really like the tactical stock, forearm grip, and the part that attaches 6 extra shells to the side? good ideas? or should i be looking for anything better?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

I have a friend that built up a Rem 870 similar to what you want other than the fore end grip.

As seen here...

Remington 870 Magnum - Utah Firearm Forums

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is my 500 I converted to 590. The side saddle, is purely decoration and I would not do it again. But, I feel a good stock like the hogue and a light of some kind is paramount. You don't need to go full tilt like I did and get the surefire, but I would suggest a light that at minimum can deal with the recoil. I also added the metal trigger group large safety and so on.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-14-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #4

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

there are loads of things you can do to your 500, if you have a cabellas near you hit it up, great store for mods, id recomend a side sattle, tac light and the knoxx butt stock, to be honest thats really all you need, unless you plan on sniping with it, theres no need for the ghost ring sites, heres one of my 500's and 590's, i kept my 500 basic and just replaced all the internals and trigger with 590 parts, because after awhile you get sick of lugging around a heavy ass gun, my 590 has all the parts your interested in minus the tac light as i dont really have a need for one, 99% of the 590 parts swap right onto the 500 so its somthing to keep in mind.
sany0204.jpg   102_1300.jpg  

Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
there are loads of things you can do to your 500, if you have a cabellas near you hit it up, great store for mods, id recomend a side sattle, tac light and the knoxx butt stock, to be honest thats really all you need, unless you plan on sniping with it, theres no need for the ghost ring sites, heres one of my 500's and 590's, i kept my 500 basic and just replaced all the internals and trigger with 590 parts, because after awhile you get sick of lugging around a heavy ass gun, my 590 has all the parts your interested in minus the tac light as i dont really have a need for one, 99% of the 590 parts swap right onto the 500 so its somthing to keep in mind.
yea man the bottom pic is exactly the stock i like, all of yall have some awsome shotguns, ,ine is so plain..... ima try to upload a pic of my guns tonight...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
This is my 500 I converted to 590. The side saddle, is purely decoration and I would not do it again. But, I feel a good stock like the hogue and a light of some kind is paramount. You don't need to go full tilt like I did and get the surefire, but I would suggest a light that at minimum can deal with the recoil. I also added the metal trigger group large safety and so on.
man i love this!!!!! looks so clean

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I have a friend that built up a Rem 870 similar to what you want other than the fore end grip.

As seen here...

Remington 870 Magnum - Utah Firearm Forums
i now want a remington like that

Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Side saddles are almost always a worth while addition. Mesa Tactical and TacStar both make nice one. Mesa has a 4,6 and 8, TacStar has a 4 and 6.

One thing about stocks to think about, is that with the location of the safety and pump release lever, adding a pistol grip can make it very difficult to reach both. When I get my 590(uses mostly the same parts as the 500), I'll be getting the Hogue Overmolded 12" LOP Stock. As far a pistol grip stocks go, Knoxx makes one of the best.

A few other things to take a look at is a good sling, there are over-sized safety switches made by eat and vang, and iff your shotgun is only a 5 or 6+1 capacity, you can get an extension tube to add a couple more rounds.

And the list goes on and on. What exactly are you building the shotgun for? This could help us to recommend a few other things that can come in handy.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Old 02-15-2011, 04:00 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Side saddles are almost always a worth while addition. Mesa Tactical and TacStar both make nice one. Mesa has a 4,6 and 8, TacStar has a 4 and 6.

One thing about stocks to think about, is that with the location of the safety and pump release lever, adding a pistol grip can make it very difficult to reach both. When I get my 590(uses mostly the same parts as the 500), I'll be getting the Hogue Overmolded 12" LOP Stock. As far a pistol grip stocks go, Knoxx makes one of the best.

A few other things to take a look at is a good sling, there are over-sized safety switches made by eat and vang, and iff your shotgun is only a 5 or 6+1 capacity, you can get an extension tube to add a couple more rounds.

And the list goes on and on. What exactly are you building the shotgun for? This could help us to recommend a few other things that can come in handy.

-Fred
mostly just shooting around, im not a big hunter, nore do i need to be to accutrate, morley i just go to a range and shoot sometimes... my biggest things is collecting purpose always loved guns and love to own them