Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   good coyote gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/good-coyote-gun-5432/)

shnorse 07-07-2008 09:04 PM

good coyote gun

I am i the market for a good coyote gun. I would like to have it semi auto, or at least pump with a 5 storage... something that i wont have to load bullets into as the coyote i just barely missed gets away with his friends.

I am not to sure if i want a shot gun or a riffle, just something with enough fire power to drop a coyote with one shot, and not destroy it ( i.e. 12 gauge)

What are some good sizes, and models i should look into, if it comes with a scope stock, even better.

thanks

Dillinger 07-07-2008 09:13 PM

Coyote Round Thread

JD

shnorse 07-07-2008 09:33 PM

i would just like to add:

can i use the same gun on deer as i can on coyotees, or are they too different in size?

i shot a friends mossberg 500 12 gauge with slugs last year, and it killed my sholder after 20 rounds.. i want something with minimal kick, and quiter the better.

Dillinger 07-07-2008 09:38 PM

You have to be careful, and I am no expert on hunting laws as I don't hunt, so I would check the laws in your area before making a decision.

On the surface, sure, you can use the same round for both animals, assuming you get a good cartridge. Shot placement is always crucial, whether you want a pelt, or putting food on the table.

In the right hands, just about any cartridge can bring down reasonable size game.

A .223, in the right hands, would be able to bring down both a coyote and small North American deer.

JD

shnorse 07-07-2008 09:59 PM

how is the kick on a .223?

i only weigh 120 lbs and im 5' 6".. i dont want too much recoil

Dillinger 07-07-2008 10:14 PM

Recoil is dependant on a lot of things actually.

The weight of the rifle is the first factor. Heavier rifles are harder to hump, but don't kick as much. Light rifles are easier to carry and kick more if all things are standard.

The longer the barrel, the greater the weapon weight, but also the more pressure builds up as the round moves down range, leading to recoil. Longer barrels offer greater accuracy, so on a hunting rifle you would want a longer barrel than on a CQB style weapon.

.223 has plenty of grain sizes in the caliber that can determine effective recoil. Heavier bullets require more powder to achieve the same velocity, so that will be felt as recoil.

A muzzle break, if correctly built and installed, will successfully tame recoil, but it will greatly increase the sound levels felt by the shooter.

A heavy duty recoil pad, correctly installed, can ease felt recoil quite easily. Most hunting rifles come with a basic recoil pad from the factory, but you can get replacements cheap and increase your comfort with the rifle.

Some people, in the past, have added other recoil taming techniques, like adding a mercury vile in the stock. The theory is that the mercury sloshes one way on ignition, and then hits the end of the vile and tames the recoil before you feel it. Tactical rifles don't get them because you add another moving component that you don't want to compete with...

We have a customer in the shop, who is a stick figure actually, but he shoots some of the more vicious hunting cartridges out there. We built him a .300 WSM that weighed in at just a little over 11.5 pounds, per his request and his components, that I am sure kicks like twin mules, but that is what he wanted. We put a Pachymer Decelerator pad on the stock, the thicker magnum version. We put a purpose built muzzle break that was longer than a normal rifle break to increase effectiveness. He bought a heavy bull style barrel, but we fluted it down to ease the weight. The weapon is a bit front heavy actually, without the scope in place, but seemed to balance out okay when all doctored up. This particular customer goes to Alaska at least once a year to hunt and has been to Africa on at least three occassions, so he hunts everything out there. It all comes down to what you can effectively shoot....

JD

shnorse 07-08-2008 12:45 AM

are .223 rounds expensive to buy? normal bullets you can buy at a bass pro shops?

Dillinger 07-08-2008 01:12 AM

They are common rounds. Expensive is relevant I suppose.

www.surplusammo.com

That is a good place to buy ammo from in bulk. Their prices are pretty good all things considered.

JD

shnorse 07-08-2008 02:33 AM

could you recomend a gun, semi auto, acurate, and easy to maintain...

under around $300?

Dillinger 07-08-2008 01:47 PM

That price range is going to be a problem for you, and truthfully, the shop I do some apprentice work in doesn't deal in mass production guns, so we see very few at that end of the price range.

You might be able to pick up a Yugoslav Ak variant. I have seen guys posting they got one still in the packing for around $300. The weapon shoots a 7.62 x 39mm bullet, which is good enough for stopping small game and human targets. The ammo can be had pretty cheap, and it's pretty common. Accuracy would be a drawback. Expect to have, probably, something in the neighborhood of 2 to 2.5 MOA out of the box, depending on shooter and conditions.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but with that budget in mind, you could get a decent unit that will run well enough to make it work for you.

You might be able to find a used shotgun, something in a 20ga or 12ga that could do damage up close, but you have to get close to a coyote to use it, and that is no small feat, plus you will ruin the pelt. It would fit the price range and do the job, but wouldn't be ideal unless you have some world class stalking skills. For defense and basic small game hunting, this would work well for you.

When you try to get a cross breed rifle that can do multiple things, and do them well, you have to expect that the price tag is going to be a bit higher.

Best of luck in the search...

JD