Good 12 Gauge Skeet Gun on a Tight Budget
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Good 12 Gauge Skeet Gun on a Tight Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good 12 Gauge Skeet Gun on a Tight Budget

Hi all,

I want to get into skeet and trap shooting and hunting and as a first gun I want get something around $300 or less (I don't have much to spend ). I am planning to buy something used and I would prefer something with wooden furniture if possible. Are there any types of high quality guns that sell for these prices (at least used)? I bought my Mossberg 590 used for $320 so know there are options in this range, but I would rather get a classier, dedicated skeet/hunting gun than a new barrel for the Mossberg.

I would also appreciate any advice on what kind of gun to get (over-under, double barrel, or pump)?

Also, you probably noticed that I didn't specify what I am planning to hunt for and that is because I don't yet hunt, but want to buy something that will give me as many options down the road if possible while still being great for skeet and trap.

If I am being ignorant and there is no such firearm that will satisfy all these roles by simply changing out the chokes, I am sorry and didn't realize that that was the case. :/

Thank you all for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #2

Liked 326 Times on 181 Posts

Maybe a used 12 gauge Remington 870 would work for you. You could always change chokes or swap barrels to fit the changing needs.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #3

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

This is always a tough question to answer and it really depends on how often and how competitively you will be shooting skeet.

Are you going to be shooting actual rounds for score in competition, or are you going to be going casually with friends/shooting backyard clays?

Also, in the clay shooting world," not many people will call anything you can get for ~$300 high quality...you really do get what you pay for.

That being said, the most common types of shotguns used for clays are over-unders and semi-autos. If you can wait and scrape together a bit more cash you can get used, but nice, Browning A-5s and Remington 1100s.

To you, I would strongly recommend the 1100. When my cousion began shooting registered sporting clays with us, he bought a used 1100 for $500.

Me, I just bought my gun 2 years ago for $3,500....

Many people on my school's shooting team have guns that are in excess of $10,000...

Just shop around and look for a deal.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have to tell you that I shot sporting clays and pheasants with a mossberg 835....that is in addition to turkey and small game. No barrel change and only the chokes that came with the gun....and I did very well across the board. If you are on a tight budget..go with what you've got and spend the money on ammo and range fees. (shot clays for fun, admittedly but regularly and on designed courses)

Now, if you are looking for a different gun for the heck of it....try a Mossberg 500 with wood furniture..well within price range new and provides you with a ton of options.

I would not go buy an inexpensive O/U just to say you have one....wait and get a good one later..save up for it. Just my $.02.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by apwvsd40ve; 06-19-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Trap and Skeet shooting is expensive. 12 Ga. Target loads are $9 dollars a box and targets are expensive on shotgun ranges. Hand loading shot shells is no bargain.
As posted inexpensive shotguns for target shooting is a questionable choice. Used Remington 870s can be found at reasonable prices. You can buy Skeet and Trap choke tubes.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A good double can be found for 300 or less if you shop hard enough.

A twelve box case of target loads can be had for 60 bucks, at 25 shells per box.

And if you're lucky like I am, you may be able to find a range that's free for vets (I guess that luck only counts if you're a vet...), but the going rate at my range is 7 dollars per round of skeet for the paying customers. Or you can find targets at 10 bucks per box of 90 (don't know what the going rate is for any throwers though, hand, spring, or electronic)

Surely seems like the cheapest shooting sport to get into in my area.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Trip that is $15 dollars per round of Skeet. We can shoot $250 dollars worth in competition on a week end. Trap and Skeet shooting competition is not inexpensive.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #8

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I would save your money up and get a Stoeger P350 it comes with I think 6 or 7 chokes including a turkey choke can shoot anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 mags out it pump shotgun. Plus if you decided to ever get into anytype of hunting the guns good for that too.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 953 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Look to see what over under your local Wal-Mart has on the shelf. Chances are it will be a import, knock off of a tried and true blue nose.

I have something simular I picked up used. Mine shoots straight and true, and looks good in my hands.

I saw something like mine in my local Wal-Mart. Look to see what they have, and read the reviews. If the reviews are solid, that may be your ticket.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandernavi
Hi all,

I want to get into skeet and trap shooting and hunting and as a first gun I want get something around $300 or less (I don't have much to spend ). I am planning to buy something used and I would prefer something with wooden furniture if possible. Are there any types of high quality guns that sell for these prices (at least used)? I bought my Mossberg 590 used for $320 so know there are options in this range, but I would rather get a classier, dedicated skeet/hunting gun than a new barrel for the Mossberg.

I would also appreciate any advice on what kind of gun to get (over-under, double barrel, or pump)?

Also, you probably noticed that I didn't specify what I am planning to hunt for and that is because I don't yet hunt, but want to buy something that will give me as many options down the road if possible while still being great for skeet and trap.

If I am being ignorant and there is no such firearm that will satisfy all these roles by simply changing out the chokes, I am sorry and didn't realize that that was the case. :/

Thank you all for the help!
H &r pardner pump paid 180 3 years ago shot a few thousand skeet and a few ducks an geese and it is very reliable! Never had a problem