Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > getting ready to buy ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

FLMOM don't forget to check out the big sporting goods stores like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's, and my faviorite Acadamy Sports if you have any of these in your area.

When I bought my Mossberg Maverick 88 security none of the local gun shops nor my friend who has an ffl could find any HD shotguns for me.

Not haveing any of the above big ticket store in my town, I could drive a few to one. I made phone calls to them and non had any at the time except Acadamy so I drove 80 miles to buy it.

Since then the gun buying spree that has been going on has slowed a bit and I'm seeing HD shotguns on there shelves now.

What I'm trien to say is don't be surprised if your store's does'nt have one and don't be surprised that there sources are out of stock.

If this happens to you then make some phone calls like I did and maybe you'll luck out and find one.

If you did'nt know. If the Hubby ever wants to go hunting he can buy a longer barrel to put on the Mossberg you buy, AND Mossberg has packaged deals they offer that come with 2 barrels. Maybe one of the stores you use has the packaged deals or can order one.

One barrel for hunting and the other for HD. It want cost nuddin to ask what one of the packaged deals cost verse's just the HD gun.

Good Luck ...A.H

IN GOD WE TRUST

Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #12

Default Yep !!

20 Ga and Turkey loads !! Now THAT is a great idea AH !!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A skeet range would be a good fun way to practice shooting that shotty,more fun than shooting at targets. A 20 ga mossberg sounds like a good plan,but make sure you are comfortable with it,there are many other models out there if you are not.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I second the Mossy 500 in 20 ga. Turkey loads will do about the same as any #4 shot out of a short HD barrel. I don't think there is any need to spend the extra $ for them. Nitro Express Remington loads will do what you want at close range. 00buck will do better, imo. You should be able to find a used Mossy in 20 ga for around $150-190. I would not think twice about a used Mossy in good condition. They are work horses. Let us know what you decide.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #15

FLMom,

I don't know your build, so a 20ga. might be the best choice.
I use a 12ga. Remington 870 Police style shotgun for home defense, but that's me a 220lbs male.

My sister-in-law (125lbs soakin' wet ) has a 20ga. she uses for home defense and likes it very much. She keeps her's loaded with 00 Buckshot, but she doesn't have any youngin's at home, their grown & have flown the coup.
Plus, she's an experienced shotgun user. My wife uses her S&W .38+P model 36LS revolver for home/personal defense, that's what she likes instead of shotguns.

I believe once you decide on the shotgun of choice you'll have the best of both worlds. With that said, pick your gear and equip them with night fighting capability, and train to use them well. The odds are if you ever have to fight for your life with a firearm it will be in limited or low light, especially at home.
I suggest you prepare now. Good luck & stay safe.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum

Liked 238 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 645

all you need is #8 shot unless you plan on shooting the bad guy through the wall. my house is average size and pretty much any armed encounter is going to happen within no more then 10 feet.and getting hit with any 12 or 20 gauge load at this range is going to be effective.unless the bad guy is wearing some serious armor.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
all you need is #8 shot unless you plan on shooting the bad guy through the wall.
It depends if you want to end the threat or knock him down.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #18

Well, I had a real learning experience yesterday. We went to the gun shop. We looked at some shotguns but we went to shoot my father's .38 that he gave me. I have never shot a gun before. My first thought was - holy sh*t I dont want a shotgun because I was surprised at how the .38 felt. (I know all you hunters are laughing at me right now) And my next thought was - wow I better get a shotgun because I SUCK at hitting the target. Wow. I had no instruction at all because there was only one person at the store and he was busy. I am obviously going to have to go back many times. Thank God I did go. I cannot imagine buying a gun, putting in a safe, and forgetting about it until (God forbid) you need it.

Anyhow, those are my first thoughts on my first shooting experience.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FLMom,

Check out this link...

The Box O' Truth #22 - 20 Gauge Shotgun - Page 1

It's a comparison between 20ga and 12ga, and how well they could do in a home defense situation. The name of the site tells alot...the Box of Truth.

As for the shotgun versus handgun, my wife has a 20ga mossberg with 18.5" barrel on her side of the bed, fitted with a knoxx industries (blackhawk) comp-stock shotgun stock, which supposedly reduces felt recoil by up to 50-70%. She is very comfortable with it loaded with buckshot, it would do the job, as seen on that link, without too much worry of over-penetration. But she also keeps a Springfield XD subcompact within reach, too. It is a 9mm, she practices weekly with some female LEO types, has been to a couple gun schools, and qualified as a "marksman". In her own words, she prefers the shotgun, because when things go bump in the night and you are having to react out of a sleep, the shotgun is more forgiving for bad aim versus a handgun.

This is of no comfort to me, as I sleep on the side of the bed closest the door, so she would have to shoot over me - or through me

But with the 20Ga, specially with that stock on it, she is very accurate when she wants to be, and has full control of the gun with the stock on it. She has tried it with a pistol grip on it, and try as she might, it was too uncomfortable and slow to get off a follow-up shot, not to mention difficult to aim very accurately.

It all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, knowing whether or not it will stop the threat, knowing how to use it - specially in a panic situation, being able to identify and clear a malfunction, etc. - and practice with it...lots of practice.

Slo

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5598 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

When you get another chance to try the 20 guage & maybe the 12 guage, ask about "reduced recoil" shotshells (fiochi makes some & i believe remington as well). I have not tried them myself, but if they are available in your area, it could make you more comfortable shooting the shotty. Also, if the kids are to be allowed to hunt later, a Mossberg can be fitted with a new barrel of hunting length (28" or so) for their recreation. Personally, i think the shotgun would be less likely to attract the attention of an inquisitive child, as well (safety bonus).

Last edited by orangello; 09-21-2009 at 08:10 PM.