Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > getting ready to buy ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default getting ready to buy ...

Thanks for the warm welcome in the intro section! I hope it is ok if I jump in with a total newbie question!
I am looking for a home defense shotgun. I have 3 very young children.
I am pretty sold on the Mossberg 500... I held it in the store, I liked it, I see a lot of good reviews on it... But I dont know what to get - a 20 gauge? a 12? What is the .410? And I read so many places that buckshot is the right thing to use, but maybe it penetrates walls too much and I should use something else?

I would so appreciate any advice.

Keep it simple - its all new to me! Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Great series of first questions and they are by no means newb questions! These are questions that many people who'v owned shotguns for years and years still debate. First I will say that in my opinion, the Mossberg 500 is the best bang for the buck shotgun on the market! A very close second would be the Remington 870, however it does cost slightly more then your average Mossy. As for 20ga v. 12 ga, I belive the only way to establish this is for you to personally fire both and see which one your more comfortable with! Go to a range and give them a try (Most ranges will have Mossy 500's for rent as well)!

The question of what load to use is a very loaded one,no pun intended. I for one, belive your average buckshot is the load you want. Birdshot will likely not be of much use against a determed attacker or a less determened attacker with a fluffy coat on. The general rule of thumb is, if its not gonna penetrate a wall (or 2) then what would you expect it to do to a intrudert?

This is my $0.02, im sure others will be along to add theirs too!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #3

FLMOM I have a 12ga 18.5'' barrel shotgun that is a BEAST !!! When you shoot it.
It's a back up to my pistol in case it's needed for home defence.

So forget about the 12ga. it might be a handful.

Let's hope someone else comes along that can help you with the other 2 choice's.

Personaly knowing what I know now I would had much prefered a 20ga. yet Mossberg's Maverick 88 models only come in 12ga.

Though I have no problem with the 12ga. It's more potent than what I need it for.

Best of luck to you ...A.H

IN GOD WE TRUST

Last edited by ArkansasHunter; 09-19-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome.
This is just my opinion, sure others will weigh in

I think the mossy 500 is a great choice for a HD shotgun. I personally would get a 12ga, but if you're very recoil sensative you might wanna opt for the 20ga. Recoil with the 12 is a bit stiff with 00buck but with some practice it is very manageable.
You may wanna find someone or a shop/range that would give you the basics of safety&operation and let you test fire before you buy if you dont have previous experience.
I would go with a full buttstock model like this

not a cool looking but hard to control pistol grip setup like this

a good aftermrkt recoil pad such as simms or pachmyer will greatly reduce the felt recoil over the hard rubber factory pad.
I recommend 00buck but if your worried 'bout overpenetration I still wouldnt go any smaller than #4buckshot. They will both penetrate drywall but IMO if they won't how can you expect them to penetrate the "bad guy"?
Dont forget to practice, practice, practice. Even though its a scattergun you still have to aim, pattern expansion at typical indoor distances is more like 6inches not 6feet like tv and others may lead you to believe.
Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome again to FTF!!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A 20 gauge will work just fine for home defense and it won't beat you up. A 410 may be a bit too light and ammunition is more scarce for it in the heavier loads.

Mossberg makes a 20 gauge model specifically for home defense.

Remember, it's not about being tough, it's about being smart and prepared.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
A 20 gauge will work just fine for home defense and it won't beat you up. A 410 may be a bit too light and ammunition is more scarce for it in the heavier loads.

Mossberg makes a 20 gauge model specifically for home defense.

Remember, it's not about being tough, it's about being smart and prepared.
I am all over SUPPORTING this post.

For a female, in a house with youngin's, a Mossy .20 guage is a great choice!
It won't beat you up on recoil, it will get ANYONE's attention, and if you get something like #4 birdshot, it shouldn't penetrate most interior walls with any real authority should you miss.

Do you have any trigger time with a shotgun mom, or someone that can teach you to shoot it correctly in a defensive situation?? Because all the gun in the world is not going to do you any good, if you can't use it in the dark, or hit anything.

Practice is really going to be needed to get familiar with the weapon, so plan on some serious practice to get you proficient....

JD

Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #7

FLMOM if you have resorvations about useing Buck Shot take a very serious look at Turkey loads. They cost a bit more but they are the most potent shot loads made.
When I say shot there not Buckshot but I do believe Turkey loads would remove a lot of meat off a person and stop them dead in there tracks.

When I can I will do a report on 18 and 20" barreled shotguns with Turkey loads.
I also have a Mossberg 590 Military/Police shotgun that belongs to my LEO son.

I'm eager to see what the Turkey loads can do for Home Defence...A.H

IN GOD WE TRUST

Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's a link to the Mossberg. The 20 gauge I was thinking of is called the "500 Persuader". The link will take you to the "Special Purpose" shotguns. Just click through the models and you'll see it.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! It sounds like the 20g is the way to go. I have not had the opportunity to shoot any shotgun yet. The husband and I are going to a gun shop tomorrow to look and hopefully they will let me try out a few different ones before I make the purchase. I plan to try to get to the range once a week after we buy it. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I need it and have forgotten how to use it. If I own it, I want to be good at it.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by FLMom; 09-19-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #10

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasHunter View Post
FLMOM if you have resorvations about useing Buck Shot take a very serious look at Turkey loads. They cost a bit more but they are the most potent shot loads made.
When I say shot there not Buckshot but I do believe Turkey loads would remove a lot of meat off a person and stop them dead in there tracks.

When I can I will do a report on 18 and 20" barreled shotguns with Turkey loads.
I also have a Mossberg 590 Military/Police shotgun that belongs to my LEO son.

I'm eager to see what the Turkey loads can do for Home Defence...A.H
I also will await these results. Turkey load was not somthing I had consitered in the past!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun