Getting to know you

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Getting to know you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Now that golf season is winding down in the north east I am getting back into trap shooting. I went to the range to knock the rust off and I realize that I suck. Probably does not help that I shoot various rifles often and that each one has its own site picture. I found myself lolly popping the birds and missing often. The question is, what it the best sight picture for trap or is it diffrent for each gun? It appears that it's best to cover the bird with the barrel not the bead. If that's the case is the bead just a guide and not a proper sight?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You should be leading the birds. If you can't see it you are shooting behind it. The bead is more of a reference than a sight.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

When shooting trap I cover the skeet with the rib. Some people who do quite well use the barrel. Trap is my least favorite of shotgun sports, I prefer skeet. To be honest when I am on top of my game I am not aware of what the gun is doing, I am totally focused on the target. I have to shoot a lot to get on top of my game. When I was really into shooting skeet I would shoot around 800 rounds a week.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

it depends on the gun. If you're shooting a dedicated trap gun, they usually shoot high, which means leaving a little daylight below the target. If it's a standard field grade shotgun, I suggest you pattern it at 30 yards to see where it's hitting...

Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

It's always been more instinctual for me. Whenever I shoot I see the clay slightly above and behind the bead.

-Matt