Gas vs. inertia
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Gas vs. inertia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas vs. inertia

I am interested in buying a semi-automatic shotgun. Its going to be used for duck hunting. My question is in the field which is better? gas or inertia? Ive looked at Mossberg 935 and some Stoeger's. Many of the people I talk to say they would not use a gas operated in the field because it is prone to "fouling", But I just can't make myself spend $1400 on a Benelli, if the gas operated has a softer recoil.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum -

Read this Thread it will provide some answers.

I am not getting in the middle of another one of these debates. That last one went on for days...

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #3

Thanks Dillinger, I'm not trying to get into a debate and that spread is why I joined. It tells a lot about how they work, but really not how they perform in the field. The people I have talked to say you constantly have to clean the gas operated so the gas tubes don't become clogged and "foul". But a inertia or recoil really wouldn't be different I don't thing. Since it has moving parts that would be prone to rusting. But if the gas is so prone to fouling and is it really that prone, or once in a blue moon chance?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

Well Played Sir - I didn't realize you had read that thread already. A lot of folks join up and want to get tailor made answers, so they start new threads without searching the existing ones. You are one of the rare exceptions.

Okay, here is my take on it. What will you REALLY be doing with this shotgun? Going out a couple of times a month, in bad weather, wandering around quacking for birds, or sitting in a blind, and then you bag a couple of call it a day?

Or are you traveling to South East Asia and going to spend Monsoon season humping the brush and shooting what you eat as you go looking for the next basis of Indiana Jones, the continuing adventures of?

Because honestly, there is no reason ANY shotgun wouldn't perform for you in situation A if you simply clean the damn thing when you get home. These types of arguments are from the same guys who expect AK reliability out of an AR they paid $1800 for and suddenly poo-poo them because they don't do their part.

Shotguns, even the hi tech wonder guns of this day and age, are pretty damn easy to strip down and clean. Worrying about a gas tube fouling ranks right up there, to me, of worrying about your car's engine seizing up on the drive to work. Could it happen? Sure. With a little due dilligence on your part, will it happen? Highly unlikely.

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #5

Very entertaining thread . I hunt an average of 10-15 days a month. I hunt on a very large lake in a boat, and hunt from blinds on tanks too. I have been known to drop the guns in 3 foot of water, and occasionally mud . I currently have a Browning Invector 10 Gauge and looking to switch to an automatic, not only to save that shoulder but the shells for my 10 are outrageous. I have looked at the Stoeger which appears to be made by Benelli without all the fancy cryogenic bullcrap, and nearly 1/3 the price. The only draw back I have found is the Stoeger only chambers 3 inch shells, whereas the other can have a 3 1/2 inch.

Last edited by wingmaster; 02-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

Given what you have just told me, go with the recoil operated model.

Three feet of water and mud? Zoinks....

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Also with that said I do take the time to clean my guns after and incident like that occurs. I'm talking fully take down and clean. But thanks for your opinion, very helpful.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
Also with that said I do take the time to clean my guns after and incident like that occurs. I'm talking fully take down and clean. But thanks for your opinion, very helpful.
Understood, but in the interest of it being able to work the same day, I would say the recoil ones would be a better choice since you want to dump the pump version.

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've owned a remington 1100 (gas operated), and it doesn't foul like crazy. I clean it after shooting and it runs fine. It won't quit on you in the field just from fouling. You'd need to stop cleaning the gun for weeks before that would happen. And I bet you could drop the 1100 in mud and it would still run with a quick wipe down... I haven't tried it, but it's a pretty durable system from what I can assess.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #10

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

"Inertia" is advertising, what makes it cycle is recoil.
I have owned and shot about everything. I still have my 1963 -2/4" 1100, and a 1966 3" version. I am a waterfowl hunter. My dalliances with 10 gauges ended when tungsten came along. The idea of dallying with a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3-1/2" ended after about half a box of shells, when a buddy let me shoot his. Not being a masochist, I do not need that.
I "clean" my 1100s after I shoot them. And my pumps and my S x Ss and my handguns and my rifles. Even the stainless handguns. I guess it's the way I was raised. All the gas system on the 1100 needs is a squirt of RemOil and a wipe off. Less than 5 minutes unless I have dropped one in the water or been out in a deluge. This is the 'oldest' extant succesful gas system still around. They say the newer ones need even less cleaning. If I can ever figure out why I need that, or find another gun that points as good, I might get one. I did try years past.
I have never had the gas system foul up and jam or fail, but I probably have not gone more than 200 - 250 rounds between cleanings, and that was skeet. I have small doubt that less than 200 heavy Blue Dot handloads, nasty duck killers that they were, would probably bring the gun to it's knees. Fortunately I am not that bad a shot. If I ever go to Argentina I will take a small can of RemOil and a rag with me. Should be easy since I won't need zero degree clothing or to lug decoys.