Gagging A Remington 11-87 Or 1100 Action
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Gagging A Remington 11-87 Or 1100 Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016, 04:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gagging A Remington 11-87 Or 1100 Action

I have a Remington 11-87 Premier and a 1100 Classic Field.
I have used these shotguns for hunting and clay shooting.
When I shoot at my ranges in New Jersey they could care less about the empty shot shell casing flying out when it ejects,
I joined a trap range in Pennsylvania with my son in law and they are not crazy about semi autos down there at this range.
They told me get a over and under. I have two of them and two side x side shotguns but I love my semi autos.
I shoot with them the best.
I have seen shell catchers that go on the receiver with tape, my guns the receivers and the stocks you could comb your hair in them.
I wonder if you could put two large rubber bands around the receiver ahead of the bolt when closed and it would gag the hull from being ejected out of the receiver? Anyone ever heard of that?
I do not want to scratch or mar those receivers.
I know it would not work on doubles.
Any advice, these guns are 20 years old been shot alot and look like new the way they are kept and I want them to stay that way.
Fred

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7320 Times on 3898 Posts
Likes Given: 574

shoot 25 rounds pick up 25 hulls. nonissue. clean up after yourself everytime.

the reason they dont like semi is likely experience with mullet head types leaving hulls behind.

my wife and i shoot benelli m4 on trap courses and are not concerned with the opinions of others. we use 18.5" barrels optics and i use full choke she uses modified. we leave with the same number of hulls as we fired. we use a pik stick to grab hulls. she shoots i pick up her hulls i shoot she gets mine and we never hold anyone up.

we get dirty looks from the blue hairs because of our black combat shotguns which amuses us greatly. our purpose in shooting trap and skeet is training and using guns we like.

there are various catchers that sorta work and none i would recommend. but ive found that if your not a dirtbag by just picking up your empties is way more than enough.

if they become jackasses about it just say, you buy me a pair of purdy o/u, refund 100% of my membership, or leave me be. long as your not leaving anything but broken clay wads and shot shouldnt be a problem.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 06-13-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Liked 231 Times on 172 Posts

A (one) rather large flat rubber band around the receiver of the 1100 or the 11-87 will keep it from slinging the empties and hitting others on a trap line. You will have to experiment with location, but if I remember right just about the center of the ejection port will do it. A black rubber band is very unobtrusive.
Or, you can try removing the O ring as in many instances this will stop the gun from cycling - especially with 11-87s. You can then manually eject the shell.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
RKB

Liked 510 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 647

It seldom has anything to do with picking up empties. Trap shooters are not fond of a SA shooter standing to their left pelting them or their shotgun with ejected empties. A shellcatcher or just a rubber band as suggested ends that problem.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5781 Times on 3862 Posts
Likes Given: 2994

I use Winchester lite ammo in semi-autos. Pleasant to shoot, won't cycle.
File Type: jpg download.jpg (11.0 KB, 21 views)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 903 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I use Winchester lite ammo in semi-autos. Pleasant to shoot, won't cycle.
I like shooting them, they are very quiet. I would buy or make a shell catcher and if still given grief would take my money elsewhere.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-14-2016, 02:07 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5781 Times on 3862 Posts
Likes Given: 2994

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
I like shooting them, they are very quiet. I would buy or make a shell catcher and if still given grief would take my money elsewhere.
I quit a club once, because I got enough of being micromanaged. Some clubs have a small core of old members who are clannish, nosy, and paranoid. Woe on you if someone finds your shell case in the dirt next day. I left with the 3d digit pointed up high. Figuratevely speaking

Old 06-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

If it's a trap club and that is where they are having an issue with shells it is more than likely because ejected shells can and will hit other shooters causing safety issue rubber band will stop this that's what I did until I got a clip on she'll catcher from recobs target supply