Fragile internals in a Mossberg 500 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Fragile internals in a Mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
The factory trigger group on the 500 is plastic

If I were to do it all over and bought another mossberg, I wouldn't even look at the 500. I would go 590 all the way. No take down screw on the 590 so you can put extensions on, more barrel choices for that same reason, metal trigger group, you can get a mariner in the 590 and all the stuff that goes on the 500 also fit the 590.
BIG mistake!

1) Unless Mossberg made a very recent change, the trigger group and safety button on the 590 are plastic. I know that for a fact because I own one.

For the metal trigger group and safety button you need to get a 590a1.

If you go to the Mossberg web site you'll see that the 590a1 ("special purpose") is listed as having a metal trigger group and safety, while the 590 is NOT.

Having said that, some say that the plastic t.g. is BETTER than the steel one because if banged against a hard object it will return to it's proper shape whereas the steel one will dent or break (depending on how it's tempered).

I wouldn't want my finger crushed in a metal trigger guard on a battle field or whatever and no way to get it out.

2) More barrel choices for the 590?? Where??? I've been looking for extra barrels for YEARS for my 590 and have only found a very few (expensive) custom barrels at specialty tactical shops, and NONE anywhere that were rifled or threaded for any kind of choke tube.

There are MANY more barrel choices with the 500!

Don't believe me? Go to the Mossberg web site and look at the list of replacement barrels, you won't even find ONE for the 590! If you search other places on line almost all of them will be the stock barrel.

500 barrels do NOT fit on the 590 or 590a1 because of the take down screw on the 500 which the 590/590a1 does not have.

The only way that I've found to use any kind of (threaded or rifled) hunting barrel on a 590/590a1 is to replace the magazine tube and spring with a m.t. and spring from a 500 and then you can use 500 barrels on it.

If there's another way to do it I'd sure like to know what it is.

My suggestion is to buy the 500 which you can get with a barrel just like the 590 or any other type of barrel you want and then you can change them at will.

If you get the 590, in addition to paying more up front, you can only get a cylinder bore barrel, and if you later decide that you want a choked or rifled barrel you'll have to buy the gas tube and spring AND buy the other barrel.

If you think the mag capacity of the 500 isn't enough you can get a saddle for it that holds 4-6 rounds and a speedfeed stock that holds another 3-4 rounds. With the 5 rd mag tube that'll give you 15 rounds on board and you'll be ready for when the gang bangers, wolves or zombies attack

I meant no dis-respect for Darren.

Last edited by Striperhound; 01-30-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am not even going to respond...lol. you need to get a grip bud.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 01-30-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
At ease there Darin. I looked over the post and did not find any "drivel". You disagree with the man on the relative merits of the 500 vs. the 590. If there was something inaccurate in the post, please brief us.

OK, "Gas tube" on a pump shotgun? That part confused me a bit.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum Striper. Stop by the intro section and let us know a bit about you.
The drivel I am referring to is his going off about no barrels offered for the 590, which is BS. Then the statements about getting his finger crushed in the trigger guard like he is engaging in world war three doing drop and rolls with his finger on the trigger. Talking about how plastic will recover from an impact that will crush steel. Not even mentioning all the exclamation points thrown in there for effect. There is no factual basis behind his statements, just a flat out emotional long response to someone he did not agree with. That is drivel.

Additionally, he didn't even read the entire thread or even quote me properly. He deleted things and then tried to make it look like I was giving inaccurate advice. For one I never said anything about barrels being interchangable, I only referred to access. Also the guy never mentioned anything about wanting a hunting gun or what ever, he wanted to know about the plastic trigger group for which I have experience since I just broke my old one and changed it.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 01-30-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #14

I don't have a tone. You tell me at ease and I simply told you what the context of my statement was.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I was going to buy the 590a1 but could not pry the money out of my wallet when I could buy the 500 persuader with a 7 round tube for way less. The comment about the plastic trigger is hard to buy. If I drop it hard enough to bend a metal group I will break the ABS plastic group. No problems with my plastic yet but I will check out brownells in the future for a metal replacement.
By the way thanks for the info Darren

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
The drivel I am referring to is his going off about no barrels offered for the 590, which is BS. Then the statements about getting his finger crushed in the trigger guard like he is engaging in world war three doing drop and rolls with his finger on the trigger. Talking about how plastic will recover from an impact that will crush steel. Not even mentioning all the exclamation points thrown in there for effect. There is no factual basis behind his statements, just a flat out emotional long response to someone he did not agree with. That is drivel.

Additionally, he didn't even read the entire thread or even quote me properly. He deleted things and then tried to make it look like I was giving inaccurate advice. For one I never said anything about barrels being interchangable, I only referred to access. Also the guy never mentioned anything about wanting a hunting gun or what ever, he wanted to know about the plastic trigger group for which I have experience since I just broke my old one and changed it.
First of all Darren, I wasn't "going off" or "being emotional", I was just amazed at how backward and just plain WRONG the information was that you were giving.

"Doing drop and rolls in world war three"? How about just falling on a rock with your shotgun in your hand and your finger in the trigger guard.

The reason I said that about the trigger guard crushing was because a guy on another forum had a metal trigger guard on his get crushed (I don't remember how) and either he or another guy on the forum said that the plastic ones are better in the respect that they will regain there shape but the metal won't, which is what I wrote.

Have you ever been in combat or even in the military Darren? You don't have to be in "world war three", those kind of things happen in training as well.

I've seen a rock come flying through the trees and crush the carrying handle on a M-16 a guy next to me was carrying when we set off a 500 lb bomb and were trying to get out of the area. By the grace of GOD his hand wasn't in it at the time.

Almost everything you said in that paragraph I was refering to was wrong. For example; "more barrel choices for that same reason (the take down screw)--WRONG, "metal trigger group (on the 590)" -WRONG, and "you can get a Mariner in the 590 and all the stuff that will go on the 500 also fit the 590". What?? All WHAT stuff?

You wrote that you "never said anything about barrels being interchangeable" you "only refered to access". Well what would you want to "access them" for if you weren't going to interchange them/swap them with the barrel you already have on the gun?

As far as the guy mentioning hunting, I brought that up because you were talking about other barrels.

What other barrels would someone want for a shotgun? You've already got your H.D. barrel on the 590, other barrels are for hunting, skeet/trap and most people use chokes on them except for the slug barrels. You can't get ANY barrels for a 590 that accept chokes that I've ever seen.

So the bottom line Darren, since you want to talk so rudely about me (calling my posts "drivel and b.s.") I'm going to be blunt with you and tell you "Put up or Shut up"!

I explained everything well in my first post, contrary to all the innacurate information you gave about the 500 & 590. and I didn't disrespect or belittle you in any way.

I gave information in my original post where people can find out the truth on these things (if they don't believe me) and I'll write it here AGAIN so ANYBODY can go online and see which of us is giving accurate information and which is posting "drivel" or "b.s.".

I just went to the Mossberg web site and clicked on "accessories" then "barrels" and all the replacement/accessory/interchangeable barrels are shown and there were SIXTEEN for the 500 and NONE for the 590!

Also at Cabela's, NONE listed for the 590!

As I said in my first post, all other barrels I've found on the web for the 590 were the same cylinder bore barrel either a little shorter or longer and maybe some different sights, that's it.

If you find some others please, tell me, because I'd like to get a different barrel or two for my 590.

You say what I said and am saying is "drivel"?? PUT UP OR SHUT UP, Prove it! Give us some information/ web sites etc where we can find the "more barrel choices" you spoke of, and the metal trigger guards on the 590s and show us how "all the stuff that goes on the 500 also fit on the 590".

I challenge ANYBODY reading this string to look up the information for yourself. Go to the Mossberg site and talk to the people that actually make them and ask 1.) if the 590 (not the 590a1) has a metal trigger guard, 2.) if any of the 500 barrels, chokes, etc will fit on the 590 and 3.) if there are any replacement/accessory/interchangeable (same meaning) barrels available for the 590 and see for yourself whose post was "drivel".

Last edited by Striperhound; 02-01-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #17

[QUOTE=Striperhound;432445] BIG mistake!

If you get the 590, in addition to paying more up front, you can only get a cylinder bore barrel, and if you later decide that you want a choked or rifled barrel you'll have to buy the gas tube and spring AND buy the other barrel.

QUOTE]

Oops! I meant "magazine tube" in this last paragraph, not "gas Tube".

Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

To the OP:

I've had my 500 since '87 or '88. I use it for deer hunting, turkey hunting, clays and general range fun. I can't tell you how many shells and slugs I've put through it and I have had ZERO issues with it. I have replaced nothing and the only things I have bought for it are choke tubes.

I guess "fragile" is a relative term. We know that with mechanical thingys, stuff can break or it can not break. I would not worry about replacing your trigger group unless you break it.

Go with the 500, maybe even used and a couple of barrels. Heck you can even get a muzzleloader barrel for the 500.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #19

Hi Scratch! I've been using a couple of my 500s around 40 years. Only problems were a broken plastic safety button and rust in the mag tube.

When the plastic saftey button, knob, slider, whatever you want to call it, broke on my 20 ga I replaced them all with steel ones. No more problem.

The mag tubes on my 500s tend to rust inside. The rest of the weapon might look like new but after a few years of normal outdoor use they can get that way. You can tell by the follower dragging in the tube, the shells don't feed smooth out of the mag tube.

Its no big deal, I just unscrew the tube from the reciever, run a bore brush In as far as I can get, oil it up and I'm good for a couple more years.

I don't know a thing about the 590, never even shot one. I do like my 500s! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #20

The longer I have my Mossberg the more I like it, wish I could get to shoot it more.

My next gun (Lord willing) will be be the 590A1 with the L.P.A. trigger and the heavy, fluted 18.5 barrel Mossberg has on it's web site. I think it will be really accurate with rifled slugs as is.

I'll probably go ahead and get the 500 mag tube etc and put them on the A1 so I can get the blk powder barrel and other 500 barrels for it as well.

I.M.O. the Mossbergs must be real rugged, well made shotguns to have passed the Mil-Spec tests and been adopted for military use.

I'm pretty sure the military uses the A1 though and I appreciate what Darren
said about the problem he had with his trigger group. If I have problems with mine I'll invest in a metal one and the metal safety button.

Last edited by Striperhound; 02-02-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: grammar correction