Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Foster slug hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/foster-slug-hunting-89293/)

bowhunter17 04-22-2013 12:17 AM

Foster slug hunting

What are your experiences hunting deer with slugs in a smooth bore? Also, any advice?

Pasquanel 04-22-2013 12:59 AM

Foster slugs in a smooth bore are not unlike a marble in a rain gutter in my experience, do yourself a favor and get a rifled barrel "shotgun" and use the new sabot slugs.
Much more accurate and you will get cleaner more humane kills. At the very least get something with real sights not just a front bead.

bowhunter17 04-22-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasquanel
Foster slugs in a smooth bore are not unlike a marble in a rain gutter in my experience, do yourself a favor and get a rifled barrel "shotgun" and use the new sabot slugs.
Much more accurate and you will get cleaner more humane kills. At the very least get something with real sights not just a front bead.

Oh, thanks. I just thought that I wouldn't need a rifled barrel because the range is very limited where I hunt.

Pasquanel 04-22-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1222568)
Oh, thanks. I just thought that I wouldn't need a rifled barrel because the range is very limited where I hunt.

Well try them out what you consider shooting range and if you can consistently hit a 10" circle or paper plate you may do just fine. But if you cannot consider the noble beast yo are about to maim.;)

bowhunter17 04-22-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Well try them out what you consider shooting range and if you can consistently hit a 10" circle or paper plate you may do just fine. But if you cannot consider the noble beast yo are about to maim.;)

I probably will get the mossberg 500 field deer combo, but all I have now is an old savage 745 and a browning auto five(which I won't hunt with). How well will a rifled choke work with sabots?

Pasquanel 04-22-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1222607)
I probably will get the mossberg 500 field deer combo, but all I have now is an old savage 745 and a browning auto five(which I won't hunt with). How well will a rifled choke work with sabots?

Rifle accuracy within its range, I live in S. Maine and would feel more than adequately armed with such a set up.

kmglocks 04-22-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Rifle accuracy within its range, I live in S. Maine and would feel more than adequately armed with such a set up.

I have a mossberg with a rifled barrel, shoots Remington copper solids like a boss and it's so damn accurate.

ninjatoth 04-22-2013 01:45 AM

My best advice would be to have a good set of iron or fiber optic sights and hunt sub 100 yards, and not use a scope.Most scoped shotguns are rifled shotguns and firing 300 grain sabot slugs and recoil is manageable, the Foster style slugs in 12 gauge can easily be upwards of 500+ grains and you will either get hit with the scope at some point or be too afraid to really get in there in the scope out of fear of recoil to make an accurate shot.

Virginian 04-22-2013 10:30 AM

I have seen a smooth bore shotgun that could group under 6" at 150 yards. But, that is not the norm. Try yours with an IC or Mod chokes and different brand slugs to see which combination works best. Most guns are good at least out to 75 yards with the right combination if you do your part.

akers06 04-22-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 1222639)
My best advice would be to have a good set of iron or fiber optic sights and hunt sub 100 yards, and not use a scope.Most scoped shotguns are rifled shotguns and firing 300 grain sabot slugs and recoil is manageable, the Foster style slugs in 12 gauge can easily be upwards of 500+ grains and you will either get hit with the scope at some point or be too afraid to really get in there in the scope out of fear of recoil to make an accurate shot.

Not true man the 2 3/4" rifled slugs don't kick that bad I have used them many times with a scope