Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > flash light mount on a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default flash light mount on a barrel

ive seen a bunch of these videos and pictures of lights mounted on a shotgun, but all of them have the extended mag tube. would it be alright to mount one on the barrel? just for an extra light for when me and some buddies are out in the swamp at night and the spotlight battery dies.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #2

yes. they make several differnt mounts that mount to the barrel

Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 373 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

remember when you mount your light on your gun you have to point it at what you want to see and some times it might not be a bad guy but a loved one or friend jus somthing to think about.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
ive seen a bunch of these videos and pictures of lights mounted on a shotgun, but all of them have the extended mag tube. would it be alright to mount one on the barrel? just for an extra light for when me and some buddies are out in the swamp at night and the spotlight battery dies.
For this a flashlight in your back pocket is the way to go. Waving a shotgun mounted light around to see by in a group in a swamp sounds way past unsafe to me.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
get a headlamp. putting a light on shotgun and your buddy says HEY look at this or yells for help you have to point a loaded weapon at them to see...

Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #6

With a quality light, you really don't have to aim a shotty at an object to see what it is. You do have to aim in the general vacinity, but you don't have to sweep through the object.
Firearms instructors actually teach these tequniques using a weapon mounted light. Remember, a light spreads out as it leaves the lamp. It is not like a laser, which is a perfectly straight line.
Using a hand lamp with a pump gun can be a little tricky to learn how to hold the light and rack the gun. Gives ya alot of stuff to fumble with.
Come to think about it, I think the sportsman channel still runs a show called Personal Defense TV. If it is still on, they have done shows on how to use weapon mounted lights on shottys, black guns, and handguns.
Using a hand held light is much easier with a handgun. One hand on gun, one on light.
With all that said, In a swamp, I would still away from a weapon mounted light. A head lamp sounds like a more user friendly solution.

Last edited by jimbobpissypants; 01-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
get a headlamp. putting a light on shotgun and your buddy says HEY look at this or yells for help you have to point a loaded weapon at them to see...
my gun is NEVER loaded until im ready to shoot. shells are in my pocket.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did find this that I really like the idea, but it messes me up as far as a sling goes.

THE LITE LIGHT : REMINGTON/MOSSBERG SHOTGUN FLASHLIGHT MOUNT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools