First time shotgun purchase - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First time shotgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipanthers52 View Post
I've heard some mixed reviews on the Remington 870. I know it's an old staple but have you heard of any issues with it jamming? Also, where is the into section? I'll head out there! What do you think of the Winchester SX3?
You can get a Franchi or Beretta in that price range.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMat View Post
Sorry not trying to highjack your thread.
Remington 870 Pros:
-Cheaper starting price Price
-More Accessories
-Many Configurations
-Reliable Workhorse

Remington 870 Cons:

-Shell elevator can pinch your fingers when loading the gun
-Lower end models don't have very good quality finish, causing the gun to easily rust
-You have to bring the action back a little bit harder to eject a shell

Benelli Supernova Pros:
-Better layout (personal)
-Lockable shell elevator (Won't get your fingers pinched loading shells)
-Nicer Action (My opinion)
-3 1/2 chamber gives you more versatility. And unlike some other guns that accept 3 1/2 shells, this one will also reliably cycle 2 3/4 loads
-Push button shell stop (allows you to eject a shell from the chamber, and place another one in the chamber, with out the magazine feeding out another shell as well, causing the firearm to jam)
-Reliable

Benelli Supernova cons:
-Higher Starting Price
-Less accessories
-You can't swap out stocks
-Expensive Barrels

Really you can't go wrong with either gun and its mostly just a matter of preference. Hope this helps.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456

Remington 870 Pros:
-Cheaper starting price Price
-More Accessories
-Many Configurations
-Reliable Workhorse

Remington 870 Cons:
-Shell elevator can pinch your fingers when loading the gun
-Lower end models don't have very good quality finish, causing the gun to easily rust
-You have to bring the action back a little bit harder to eject a shell

Benelli Supernova Pros:
-Better layout (personal)
-Lockable shell elevator (Won't get your fingers pinched loading shells)
-Nicer Action (My opinion)
-3 1/2 chamber gives you more versatility. And unlike other some other guns that accept 3 1/2 shells, this one will also reliably cycle 2 3/4 loads
-Push button shell stop (allows you to eject a shell from the chamber, and place another one in the chamber, with out the magazine feeding out another shell as well, causing the firearm to jam)
-Reliable

Benelli Supernova cons:
-Higher Starting Price
-Less accessories
-You can't swap out stocks
-Expensive Barrels

Really you can't go wrong with either gun and its mostly just a matter of preference. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. It seems like for the extra 150 bucks or so there are more pros. My only concern with the supernova is that synthetic stock feeling so light. Has anyone had any problems with the stock breaking/cracking/ or anything with them? It just felt really light to me.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the input. It seems like for the extra 150 bucks or so there are more pros. My only concern with the supernova is that synthetic stock feeling so light. Has anyone had any problems with the stock breaking/cracking/ or anything with them? It just felt really light to me.
None that I have heard of. But with ANY gun, there are bound to be a handful of people who have had problems.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
I shoot 3.5 inch turkey loads in my Benelli SBE with a synthetic stock, your shoulder will break before the stock does.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I shoot 3.5 inch turkey loads in my Benelli SBE with a synthetic stock, your shoulder will break before the stock does.
Agreed!!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
The maverick only held 2 rounds because the manufacturer puts a wooden dowel in the magazine to adhere to individual states hunting laws. Its very simple to remove and once you do, you can hold up to 5 shells in the magazine. As for not firing slugs through a mod choke, in my opinion, thats just hearsay. I have had no issues with the performance on my choke after firing rifled slugs out if it and accuracy was fine. I also know many people who do the same with no problems.
Thanks for the tip about the wooden dowel. My brother-in-law in Georgia said that he coudn't get the thing open; I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't read the manual or because it wasn't possible to open. He'll be glad to know.

As for the slugs through a modified choke, I just spent the last half an hour searching the internet for information proving me right. Turns out I'm wrong, 25 year gunsmiths and 45 year shotgun shooters agree that slugs through modified and even full choked barrels don't damage the choke or cause a safety hazard in any way.

Thanks for the education.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #18

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

With up to 3-1/2" loads, I would look hard at the gas operated semi autos. I cannot abide inertia operation, but some people like them, too. To me they cost too much money for what you get, and without the two piece stocks and such they kick like mules. And in case one should think I am too recoil sensitive, before tungsten I shot a specially lightened (read machined) 10 gauge BPS. And the gas operated guns are much more likely to reliably cycle with lighter shells than the 3-1/2" Roman candles, in fact you see quite a few on the Sporting Clays range even. I just shoot a 3" 12 now for waterfowl, and a Remington 1100 does fine.
Among 3-1/2" gas guns, the Winchesters, Brownings, Berettas, and Remington Versamax is where I would look. Yes, there are cheaper alternatives, but they don't appear to be as trouble free in my experience. Everyone will trumpet their favorite, but to be honest, they all work pretty darned well. They all have different features, but you need to decide which suit you best. You just have to see which one feels best to you, and then decide which finish you want. Enjoy the process and good luck.

What could have happened... did.