First time shotgun purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First time shotgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time shotgun purchase

I'm new to hunting and gun owning and looking for a good multi-purpose 12 ga shotgun. Will use it mainly for deer hunting but will probably use it for some waterfowl as well. I'm new to the hunting world do don't need something crazy expensive but want a reliable gun that will get the job done for years to come! Any ideas\recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1199 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Stoeger Model 3500

Stoeger Model 3500

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Remington 870. Why not introduce yourself in the intro. section.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Mossberg 500/535. Also look at the Benelli Nova

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #5

I've heard some mixed reviews on the Remington 870. I know it's an old staple but have you heard of any issues with it jamming? Also, where is the into section? I'll head out there! What do you think of the Winchester SX3?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #6

Also, should have clarified...looking at semi-autos! Thanks everyone!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

Im also looking for my first shotgun and im looking at 2 12 gauges an 870 wood stock for 309$ and a supernova for 459$ with a synthetic stock. I like the weight of the 870, the supernova with the synthetic stock just feels too light. Whats do you "experienced" guys think? Pros and cons.. etc.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

Sorry not trying to highjack your thread.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

I believe Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's are the workhorse shotguns of American law enforcement. These two shotguns can be used in many applications and have many aftermarket accessories and options available. One reason that these shotguns are so versatile is that by opening the action halfway and unscrewing the tubular magazine catch, the barrels can be switched out, often with just a simple tug. This allows you to use the same gun to shoot sabot slug, buckshot, target load, and breaching rounds. I believe both of these guns run in the $350 to $500 range brand new and may include a second barrell.

I'm partial to the Marine Corps' Benelli M-4 but the civilian version carries a price tag of around $1400. My brother-in-law recently bought a Mossberg Maverick for around $120(?). It felt like a much cheaper quality firearm and only held two rounds in the magazine, but some of the same aftermarket parts for the Mossberg 500 fit the Maverick. It may be an excellent starter shotgun if the barrels are also interchangeable, I would definitely do my research before buying one though. I doubt that they hold much resale value.

Just remember not to shoot a rifled slug through your mod. choke barrel, it severely degrades the performance of your choke. I've run into several military guys and average joes who didn't know what a choke was or how it worked. At one time, I was that guy. hence the word of caution.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGunworks View Post

I'm partial to the Marine Corps' Benelli M-4 but the civilian version carries a price tag of around $1400. My brother-in-law recently bought a Mossberg Maverick for around $120(?). It felt like a much cheaper quality firearm and only held two rounds in the magazine, but some of the same aftermarket parts for the Mossberg 500 fit the Maverick. It may be an excellent starter shotgun if the barrels are also interchangeable, I would definitely do my research before buying one though. I doubt that they hold much resale value.

Just remember not to shoot a rifled slug through your mod. choke barrel, it severely degrades the performance of your choke. I've run into several military guys and average joes who didn't know what a choke was or how it worked. At one time, I was that guy. hence the word of caution.
The maverick only held 2 rounds because the manufacturer puts a wooden dowel in the magazine to adhere to individual states hunting laws. Its very simple to remove and once you do, you can hold up to 5 shells in the magazine. As for not firing slugs through a mod choke, in my opinion, thats just hearsay. I have had no issues with the performance on my choke after firing rifled slugs out if it and accuracy was fine. I also know many people who do the same with no problems.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity