Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First time hints?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default First time hints?

Looks like I'm going to be in a shotgun competition this weekend as the pistol range is closed, which will be pretty much the first time I've really handled a shottie (if you don't count the 2 shells -count em, 2 lol- that my uncle allowed me to let loose on his rural property when I was 17 - and I don't )

That might seem strange; to be thrown into a comp with nil experience, but that's the way the laws work here - you can only shoot if you actually compete on a target licence.


So...any first timer hints out there? Apart from leaning into it which I've kinda guessed already. Unfortunately I don't know the gauge yet, but it will only be a side-by-side double barrel (as anything else is yeah you guessed it, illegal )


Have no idea of the competition format, and I don't know how much (if any) instruction I'll be given beforehand...so thought I'd just ask about some general stuff here. Any replies welcome...

__________________
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

When you get there, start talking to people who have some experience and try to get some pointers. Shotgun shooting is one of things that you just need to do in order to learn. I remember getting some instruction from my dad but I still had to learn how to see/feel where I needed to be with the sight in order to hit a moving target.

By the way, your laws SUCK!!

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

You're aware of leading a moving target right? You have to shoot in front of whatever direction the target is moving. Also you have to follow through-don't stop your swing after you pull the trigger. Get your cheek down on the comb and look down the rib. There's basically 3 different types of shooting for moving targets.

The 1st is spot shooting. This is where you point the shotgun in a spot where you think the target is going to pass and pull trigger. Very few people are really consistent with spot shooting but those who are are very good. It takes a lot of experience to get real good at spot shooting.

2nd we have swing through. This is where you start with the shotgun behind the target and swing the shotgun faster than the target is going. When the bead passes in front of the claybird you pull the trigger. This is perhaps the easiest of the 3 main types of shotgun shooting at moving targets (claybirds). The reason for this is you don't have to calulate the lead distance as much as it will APPEAR to be a lot shorter than the sustained lead method.

The 3rd is "sustained lead". This is where you swing the shotgun in front of the claybird at the same speed and keep it that way as you pull the trigger. Some people whom use this method are very good but it does take more practice to get good at it because follow through is more critical and you have to resist the tendency to stop your swing after you pull the trigger more.

__________________

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jbshoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 160
Default

you could always buy a box of clays and some target ammo (both are really cheap) and one of those 5 dollar hand throwers and go out to a field and have a friend throw for you while you shoot them. this will give you a feel for shooting moving targets in the air with a shotty.

and like the guy above me said, lead your target. which is pretty easy with a shotgun. even if most of your shot misses, you can still bust the clay.

i'm no competition shooter, but i can hit clays, heck almost anyone can do that, i think the winning edge in competition is consistency, which, with practice you will get.

__________________
jbshoots is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
you could always buy a box of clays and some target ammo (both are really cheap) and one of those 5 dollar hand throwers and go out to a field and have a friend throw for you while you shoot them. this will give you a feel for shooting moving targets in the air with a shotty.

and like the guy above me said, lead your target. which is pretty easy with a shotgun. even if most of your shot misses, you can still bust the clay.

i'm no competition shooter, but i can hit clays, heck almost anyone can do that, i think the winning edge in competition is consistency, which, with practice you will get.
This would be an awesome idea if he didn't live in commie Australia...
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jbshoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
This would be an awesome idea if he didn't live in commie Australia...
you can't target practice in australia?

or can you not have personal guns?

i don't know the laws there, but if they have shotgun competitions, surely there's a way to practice. but if there isn't i'm goin to australia to enter some competitions, i'll win every one. lol (i get TONS of practice with all my guns )
__________________
jbshoots is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
When you get there, start talking to people who have some experience and try to get some pointers. Shotgun shooting is one of things that you just need to do in order to learn. I remember getting some instruction from my dad but I still had to learn how to see/feel where I needed to be with the sight in order to hit a moving target.

By the way, your laws SUCK!!
Will do, spittinfire I'm sure its a totally different animal from rifle shooting...and not only because of moving targets, heh. I can see how feel is going to come into the equation a lot more.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You're aware of leading a moving target right? You have to shoot in front of whatever direction the target is moving. Also you have to follow through-don't stop your swing after you pull the trigger. Get your cheek down on the comb and look down the rib. There's basically 3 different types of shooting for moving targets.

The 1st is spot shooting. This is where you point the shotgun in a spot where you think the target is going to pass and pull trigger. Very few people are really consistent with spot shooting but those who are are very good. It takes a lot of experience to get real good at spot shooting.

2nd we have swing through. This is where you start with the shotgun behind the target and swing the shotgun faster than the target is going. When the bead passes in front of the claybird you pull the trigger. This is perhaps the easiest of the 3 main types of shotgun shooting at moving targets (claybirds). The reason for this is you don't have to calulate the lead distance as much as it will APPEAR to be a lot shorter than the sustained lead method.

The 3rd is "sustained lead". This is where you swing the shotgun in front of the claybird at the same speed and keep it that way as you pull the trigger. Some people whom use this method are very good but it does take more practice to get good at it because follow through is more critical and you have to resist the tendency to stop your swing after you pull the trigger more.

Awesome advice, thanks stalkingbear! Swing through as you have described it sounds like the way to go, at least for a newbie...it's going to be VERY interesting



Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
you can't target practice in australia?

or can you not have personal guns?

i don't know the laws there, but if they have shotgun competitions, surely there's a way to practice. but if there isn't i'm goin to australia to enter some competitions, i'll win every one. lol (i get TONS of practice with all my guns )

Well suprisingly, we can have personal guns (for now anyway lol)


Hmm, not really much chance at pure practice though...to shoot you have to be supervised by a RO, which pretty much means competition since we only get range time once a week. For example, I have only shot rifle 6 times in total, and every one of those occasions has been in competition. If you have a hunting licence+Police approval to shoot on a primary producer's property (or live on a farm yourself) then yeah I'd say you can get all the practice you want!

But not on a target shooters' licence, which is what I have. That is legally meant to be used for competition only (see below for exceptions)


[One caveat on that though - when you are legally able to accquire your own firearm (still a year away for me) there are some very few indoor ranges where you can go to practice pistol/rifle, again under supervision if you have a covering letter from your club.

But not when you're using club guns as I have to atm. So there is hope! One day ]
__________________
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

You are very kind my friend. I would like to meet you some day. I would like to once again state that your laws SUCK!!! They suck a dead monkey's rectum!

__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You are very kind my friend. I would like to meet you some day. I would like to once again state that your laws SUCK!!! They suck a dead monkey's rectum!

Indeed, spittin!


And just for the rage-value, let's remember the Chief Monkey responsible for our wonderful laws...John Winston Howard...the man to whom Bush awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom. Which didn't mean his services to freedom in Australia, obviously




ahh, that's stopped me twitching for a moment lol
__________________
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zhuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Aust
Posts: 2,031
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Well, since you insist


The world-renowned (hmm maybe not lol) Queensland Meter Maids on the Gold Coast...





Quote:
Meter maids

Bikini-clad meter maids were introduced in Surfers Paradise in 1965 in an attempt to put a positive spin on new parking regulations. To avoid tickets being issued for expired parking, the Meter Maids dispense coins into the meter and leave a calling card under the windscreen wiper of the vehicle. The Maids are still a popular part of the Surfers Paradise culture but the scheme is now run by private enterprise.

Gold Coast, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
zhuk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
For those who will take the time... Samples.32 Conspiracy 18 08-02-2012 03:09 AM
First time out with my first AR PTsouthpaw AR-15 Discussion 3 09-06-2009 12:48 PM
My first time Self Defense shooter .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 2 02-05-2009 01:15 AM
Your Top Ten Of All Time! chopkick The Club House 20 01-29-2009 08:19 PM
time to think gnoll The Club House 0 04-20-2008 08:30 AM