First time gun buy
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

First time gun buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time gun buy

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys could give me advise. I'm new to guns only thing I know is that they are dangerous. Any way I'm looking for a shotgun to start with Clays and stuff and on to hunting after a while. I'm thinking Remington 870? What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A remington 870 would make a fine first shotgun, it's an old standby. It will serve every purpose you can throw at it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1045 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 535

That would be a good choice.
Welcome aboard.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #4

First off, i would like to say that the guns are not dangerous...the people wielding them(wether it is improperly, unsafely, with bad intent, or any combination thereof) are what is dangerous. With proper training and good gun safety practices you have very little to worry about.

Secondly, welcome to a new addiction

Thirdly, the Remington 870 is an outstanding shotgun. The standard by wich all pump action shotguns are measured. They have an outstanding service record in police units throughout the country. I personally chose a Mossberg because it is what im used to (i.e.trained with) and because i feel the safety is a little more intuitive....but that is personal preference.

good luck

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When buying a gun, buy something thats comfortable To hold. With the mossberg 500 I noticed it's lighter than an 870 and the safety is good for shooting left our right hand. As the 870 again very good gun and will doo about anything you would ever need it to. Aftermarket accessories are plentiful for both guns. I own an 870 and my step dad shoots a 500 both really nice and you will be pleased with either gun.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekST165 View Post
First off, i would like to say that the guns are not dangerous...the people wielding them(wether it is improperly, unsafely, with bad intent, or any combination thereof) are what is dangerous. With proper training and good gun safety practices you have very little to worry about.
well said.

And yes the 870 is a great shotgun. huge aftermarket parts list and very reliable.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tek hit it on the head. I would recommend if you go with an 870 get an Express Magnum, That way you will be able to five 3 inch shells if you have the desire too. So you get a lot of versatility that way. I have a Remington Sportsman 58 that dates back to the fifties more or less, and it performs like a brand new shotgun everytime. The only complaint I have with it is the ammunition is kinda hard to find since it's a 16 gauge and it does not like Federal for some reason.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3580 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

Split,

I fully understand your dangerous comment being not at all familiar with weapons. But so is automobiles, knives and scissors!!
As TekST stated, with proper safety and handling techniques guns are not dangerous it is the people handling the guns. If we get careless or laxidasical when handling them terrible things can happen. But also can happen with the above items I mentioned! Get some good training from a respectable source and you will accomplish being safe with no problem!
The 870 is a fine choice for a first shotgun. They are very durable and have stood the test of time in shotgun history. I have seen 20 year old 870s that have been shot a considerable amount and are still as good as they were when they were new. And the accessories like different interchangeable barrels regarding length and chokes are readily available at a dealer or local gun show should you wish to have a shotgun combination so to speak. For example you could but the shotgun with a 30" Full Choke Barrel for Ducks & then buy a 20" Deer Barrel with Rifle Sights on it and change it out in less than one minute! Very versatile. The Mossbergs are not bad guns either.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Tek hit it on the head. I would recommend if you go with an 870 get an Express Magnum, That way you will be able to five 3 inch shells if you have the desire too.
the remington super mag shoots 3 1/2 not just 3 and that is only if you use the super mag barrel. perfect for bird hunting. i do not see a need for 3 1/2 unless you are going snow goose. and here is every model of the 870 listed.

Pump Action Shotguns - Model 870 Shotgun - Remington Shotguns

if you want a versatile gun, i would suggest a gun with both smooth bore barrel and a rifled barrel. buying with the gun will save you money. but slug is good for large game. now i have not seen a riffled barrel rated for 3 1/2" shells. but like i said pick them both up see which one you like more with the options that you want.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I personally would suggest a Mossberg 500. Although, you won't go wrong with an 870

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity