First Shotgun buy, need insight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First Shotgun buy, need insight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default First Shotgun buy, need insight

So im looking into getting a shotgun I want to get the remington 870 express super mag but theres no gun store around me for miles that could even have a remote chance of having it but I did find one its used from a pawn shop its the 870 express super mag in synthetic with a 25" barrel he said he could do 180 for it so you think I should get it? I was looking into the 28" barrel but is the 3 inches that much of a difference? ill mainly do clay shooting and ive used a 28" and was spot on so im not sure how the differnce will affect me so with all that should i get the used one or just buy one new? and the money isnt much of a factor on this but if i can save it im all for that!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
So im looking into getting a shotgun I want to get the remington 870 express super mag but theres no gun store around me for miles that could even have a remote chance of having it but I did find one its used from a pawn shop its the 870 express super mag in synthetic with a 25" barrel he said he could do 180 for it so you think I should get it? I was looking into the 28" barrel but is the 3 inches that much of a difference? ill mainly do clay shooting and ive used a 28" and was spot on so im not sure how the differnce will affect me so with all that should i get the used one or just buy one new? and the money isnt much of a factor on this but if i can save it im all for that!
if it's in really good condition that's not a bad price. another thing is, you could get another barrel in 28" and swap it out if you wanted. the 870 barrels swap out in no time with no tools required. i'm not for sure if 3" will make that much of a difference, but my question is this, does the 25" barrel have screw in choke tubes? because if it does, then some your patterning can be adjusted there with different choke tubes.

MSRP on that shotgun is around $460 NIB, which means about $400 about at most dealers, so i say for $180, in really good or decent shape, go for it.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if it's in really good condition that's not a bad price. another thing is, you could get another barrel in 28" and swap it out if you wanted. the 870 barrels swap out in no time with no tools required. i'm not for sure if 3" will make that much of a difference, but my question is this, does the 25" barrel have screw in choke tubes? because if it does, then some your patterning can be adjusted there with different choke tubes.

MSRP on that shotgun is around $460 NIB, which means about $400 about at most dealers, so i say for $180, in really good or decent shape, go for it.
The gun definiately has wear but as for the choke tubes im not sure only saw the gun for a few minutes

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You won`t go wrong with it at that price, and if you don`t like it you should be able to get your money back.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

25" is not a standard length. I would make sure it has choke tubes or it may have been cut. It may be a 26".

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
25" is not a standard length. I would make sure it has choke tubes or it may have been cut. It may be a 26".
Do you think it could be a 24 with an extended coke tube?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Do you think it could be a 24 with an extended coke tube?
could be where someone measured it at, or a barrel length not offered anymore. remington lists two different ones for this shotgun, a 26" and a 28". quite possibly it's a 26" length barrel and was measured incorrectly, because i hope someone didn't cut off the barrel. it should have a screw-in choke tube if it hasn't been cut off.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
could be where someone measured it at, or a barrel length not offered anymore. remington lists two different ones for this shotgun, a 26" and a 28". quite possibly it's a 26" length barrel and was measured incorrectly, because i hope someone didn't cut off the barrel. it should have a screw-in choke tube if it hasn't been cut off.
I just called them and the guy said it had the screw in choke tube so what exactly does that mean? the thing that bugs me is that they are selling this gun so cheap and it makes me wonder why

Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
I just called them and the guy said it had the screw in choke tube so what exactly does that mean? the thing that bugs me is that they are selling this gun so cheap and it makes me wonder why
the screw in choke is the rem choke,that makes it even more valuable,if you aren't shooting turkeys you shouldn't need a supermag(if that means it'll shoot 3.5"ers)but what you are describing is worth more than $180 for sure.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
the screw in choke is the rem choke,that makes it even more valuable,if you aren't shooting turkeys you shouldn't need a supermag(if that means it'll shoot 3.5"ers)but what you are describing is worth more than $180 for sure.
Which is why i feel uneasy about the price most people let alone pawn shops sell valuable items real cheap.