First shotgun. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1725 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 9208

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME View Post
I am 19. I own a few guns already just not a shotgun. I have a 40 s&w handgun, 243 rifle, and 22 rifle. Are there certain manufacturers I should avoid? Any recommendations are welcome. I know the obvious Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500. Any others? Thank you.

Budget: $300-550.
I like the moniker as well. Question, are you looking for new, used, or either as long as it is in decent shape and functional? Any particular action type? What are you going to use it for\ intended purpose? All of these are questions I ask myself before going shopping for a new gun, especially a new shotgun.

New, I would recommend the Mossberg 500, the Remington 870, the NEF Pardner Pump, and the Mossberg 930. All but the 930 are pumps, and they are within your price range as far as I know. All would make a good "do almost everything" shotgun.

If you are willing to go used, and you know what to feel and look for, there is a very long list of shotguns to choose from. The pre-express (Wingmaster) 870s, Winchester 1200s, ithaca model 37s, and the Mossberg 5500 Mark II are all well made shotguns that would serve you well, and being pre-owned, will leave you with more ammo to play with on your budget.

many perfectly useful well built shotguns have become trade-ins, safe queens, and otherwise neglected (not used, but still maintained) as their owner's have gone out and picked up the latest and greatest. Some are sell offs to settle an estate or sold due to the intended recipient in the will is not a gun person, or because dad's old slug gun lacks the " cool" factor of a buddy's AR. Good deals and good quality can be found. You just have to go out and look for it.

best of luck, and hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy

Ya know I heard from this one guy that all you need is a double barrel shotgun.......
For a first shotgun? $100 gun sounds like a good G-D deal to me... And to be fair, I didn't say that's all he needed, and I didn't say that's where he should stop!!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Ya know I heard from this one guy that all you need is a double barrel shotgun.......
I think he was making a reference to Joe Biden

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I like the moniker as well. Question, are you looking for new, used, or either as long as it is in decent shape and functional? Any particular action type? What are you going to use it for\ intended purpose? All of these are questions I ask myself before going shopping for a new gun, especially a new shotgun.
Either new or used is fine. Preferably pump action. And use would be home defense and any other defense scenario. It would also be used just for target shooting. And last thing that would be good would be 18-18.5 in barrel.

"Life is hard; it's harder if your stupid."
— John Wayne

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofatater

I think he was making a reference to Joe Biden
I picked up the sarcasm

Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Haha yes sarcasm. I still dont know how todo green text! And $100 for a first shotgun is a better deal than I could ever hope to get. I don't think it matters what make or model at that price.

I probably should have had more to contribute than my bidenism, but I'm actually in the same boat as op so I'm reading all your responses.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

I would scratch the Winchester 1200 from the "to consider" list. While a few people may love theirs, they have had a long list of issues, and Winchester pretty quickly redesigned and redesignated them the 1300s.
Benelli, Remington, and Mossberg are all good. You can go with a Chinese or Turkish gun if that moves you. You get all this discussion about pumps on this forum like there are huge differences, but the truth is it is a simple design concept that has been around since the 1800s, so they pretty well all work.

What could have happened... did.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

Liked 296 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes, the 870 and Mossberg 500 are the obvious choices, and as this is your first shotgun and you want it for HD, I would go with a proven winner. You can always pick up something else down the road that is more stylized to your tastes. Don't look past what is right in front of you.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #19

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63
Yes, the 870 and Mossberg 500 are the obvious choices, and as this is your first shotgun and you want it for HD, I would go with a proven winner. You can always pick up something else down the road that is more stylized to your tastes. Don't look past what is right in front of you.
+1
If its good enough for military and law enforcement, it should good enough for you. Especially since it fits your price range.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Upgrade to a Mossberg 590.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/german-stamped-mossberg-590-mariner-92689/