First semi auto shotgun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First semi auto shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
I have shot them on the clays course. I have never owned one. It's great that you found a gun you really love. Are they still in production?
I'm not sure but I don't think so.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5673 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the problem your gonna run into with semi's is the ones that allow the use of magnum shells which you will want for goose hunting there is a lot of fiddling to get the gas/recoil system reset to function everytime you switch shell types.

if your concerned about recoil get a ported barrel and a reliable pump. just my opinion but i think semi-auto shotguns are more trouble than they are worth. you can get a MUCH better shotgun in a pump or over-under for the amount your gonna spend on a semi.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as you don't get excited about shooting 3 1/2" shells, most autos that's designed for up to 3" max WILL function with 2 3/4" and 3". I've been shooting autos for over 35 years now and they run fine. The better autos will function reliably with everything from the lightest 2 3/4" field/target loads up to the heaviest 3" magnums without switching ANYTHING. Just because you don't care for autos don't mean they're junk. I've shot untold thousands of shells through autos without the 1st issue whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the problem your gonna run into with semi's is the ones that allow the use of magnum shells which you will want for goose hunting there is a lot of fiddling to get the gas/recoil system reset to function everytime you switch shell types.

if your concerned about recoil get a ported barrel and a reliable pump. just my opinion but i think semi-auto shotguns are more trouble than they are worth. you can get a MUCH better shotgun in a pump or over-under for the amount your gonna spend on a semi.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Benelli

The Benelli is fine with all shells EXCEPT slow burning. This seems to be perculiar to a UK cartridge called "Gamebore" which it failed to cycle about every tenth attempt. Everything else so far is fine, in fact it took some time for the importer to discover the issue with the Gamebore shells.
The gun will cycle faster than you can pull the trigger - nice !!

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I could not disagree more. I've got a couple of Benellis with 25000 and 5000 rounds respectively. The only issues have been ammo issues(primer failures) and thats only been a handfull. I doubt you'll find a pump gun with that kind of volume with no mechanical failures. If you buy a quality auto, they are great. Many folks don't want to pay for quality in a shotgun. I can shoot magnums for hunting or light stuff for clays. Porting a barrel does not help recoil. It helps muzzle rise.