First semi auto shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > First semi auto shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First semi auto shotgun?

I am looking at buying a semi-auto shotgun. I need a little info. First, would the recoil of a 12 guage be softer? Second, what brand would you suggest? I would like to keep it fairly cheap. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Felt recoil will be less in a semi compared to a pump or o/u. What is fairly cheap? How much are you gonna shoot this gun? What is it's intended use?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

I just picked up a Franchi I-12. This was my first shotgun purchase and so far I love it. Included:

STANDARD FEATURES
CHOKE TUBES: C, IC, M, IM, F, wrench
FINISHES: Advantage® Max-4 HD™, Realtree® APG HD™, black synthetic, or satin walnut
TSA RECOIL PAD: Twin Shock Absorber™ gel-insert recoil pad
SHIM KIT: For adjustment of drop and cast

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/images/i12_black_12ga_lg.jpg

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

The intended use for this gun will be shooting ducks, geese. Fairly cheap would be 700 to 800 dollars. It would be fired a fair bit.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #5

I purchased mine for Deer and Turkey hunting. I paid around $730. As I understood it Franchi is owned by Benelli and the inner workings are the same. There may be better options out there, but this is what I settled on.

Good Luck

Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #6

If you are o.k. with a used gun, I highly recommend a Benelli. They are the ak47 of the shotgun world. I own 2. I know guys who have dropped them out of a blind/boat. They went to the bottom of the river. The just retrieve them, dump the water out of em, and keep shooting. I use mine mostly for clays. I have about 25000 rounds through one of em. The only problem was ammo related. My other only has 5000. Same reliability. The bad news, I doubt you'll be able to get a new one at that price. I've had numerous autos. None match the Benelli.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
If you are o.k. with a used gun, I highly recommend a Benelli. They are the ak47 of the shotgun world. I own 2. I know guys who have dropped them out of a blind/boat. They went to the bottom of the river. The just retrieve them, dump the water out of em, and keep shooting. I use mine mostly for clays. I have about 25000 rounds through one of em. The only problem was ammo related. My other only has 5000. Same reliability. The bad news, I doubt you'll be able to get a new one at that price. I've had numerous autos. None match the Benelli.
Have you tried an auto 5 dang good gun. Got to admit it's my 1st semi-auto shotgun but it's my last I love it, it won't take 3.5" shells but that's why I've got other shotguns and I didn't buy it because of the size shell it'd shoot I bought it because it's a GREAT SHOOTER.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Stoeger 2000 and it's inertia operated exactly like the Benellis. It came with 5 choke tubes and features a fiber optic bead-all for 400$. You'd be hard pressed to find a shotgun in that price range that shoots as good as that.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecbowhunter View Post
Have you tried an auto 5 dang good gun. Got to admit it's my 1st semi-auto shotgun but it's my last I love it, it won't take 3.5" shells but that's why I've got other shotguns and I didn't buy it because of the size shell it'd shoot I bought it because it's a GREAT SHOOTER.
I have shot them on the clays course. I have never owned one. It's great that you found a gun you really love. Are they still in production?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Semi-auto 12g

I would have to go with a Benelli (which I did) the enertia system is very clean in operation since it doesn't use part of the combustion gases to recycle the mechanism. All 12g's kick a tad but the tad increases to a TAD if you start using magnum shells, however I've used 50g goose shells in mine and it really is fine.
Here it is:

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK