Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Firing .410 or 20ga in a 12gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Firing .410 or 20ga in a 12gauge

Hello, first post here.

I was wondering if there is anything on the market that let's, say a .410 or 20ga shell, to be fired in an otherwise stock 12ga. shotgun.

Thank you,

Rufus

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 09-11-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Don't know the answers but my guess would be that no manufacturer is going to market a product that violates every safety rule of gun usage and risk that kind of liability. A 20 ga or .410 shell simply cannot be fully supported in a 12ga chamber...just like trying to put a .22lr in a .30-06.

Best bet would be interchangible barrels but even then I don't know if the bolt and firing pin would line up on the different diameter shells, how would the different calibers feed through the mag tube? All kinds of problems here.

Now a question...why?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My girlfriend likes to go shooting as much as I do. I have two shotguns, they're both 12ga. and she doesn't like the kick of the 12ga. I was just wondering if someone might be manufacturing some specialty shells that were sized to chamber in a 12ga, but were actually a lesser load. I know I'm thinking WAY outside the box here, but I just had to ask. Or perhaps some kind of sabot type "sleeve" that could be put over the smaller shell to increase it's size for 12ga use. If I had a reloading setup (which I may in the near future) I suppose I could load up a batch of "light" loads just for her.

Rufus

Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As far as I'm aware there's no way to chamber a smaller gauge shell in a larger gauge shotgun. Your best bet would be to buy low brass ammunition or get a smaller gauge shotgun.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
My girlfriend likes to go shooting as much as I do. I have two shotguns, they're both 12ga. and she doesn't like the kick of the 12ga. I was just wondering if someone might be manufacturing some specialty shells that were sized to chamber in a 12ga, but were actually a lesser load. I know I'm thinking WAY outside the box here, but I just had to ask. Or perhaps some kind of sabot type "sleeve" that could be put over the smaller shell to increase it's size for 12ga use. If I had a reloading setup (which I may in the near future) I suppose I could load up a batch of "light" loads just for her.

Rufus
Aw, come on. Buy the little lady her own gun. That is the only answer.

I know they have 'recoil pads' which might make shooting that 12 gauge a little more tolerable for her.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay guys, thanks, I see where this is going. I had a feeling, but ya know sometimes you just have to ask...

I guess a .410 or 20ga may just have to be my next firearm acquisition.

Rufus

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 09-11-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:

Rufus
Remington. I believe, markets a reduced recoil shell. You might also look at smaller load target or bird shoot, might help with the recoil. Other than that the recoil of a 12 ga is pretty much non-negotiable. Do you have a recoil pad on the butt?

Winchester WinLite Low Recoil Target Loads WL12FL8, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 26 grams, 980 fps, #8 Lead Sho - Able Ammo Apparently so does Win...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 09-11-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20030 Times on 11390 Posts
Likes Given: 50532

Quote:

Rufus
Rufus, there is a company in Houston Texas that makes what are called tube sets for shotguns, so that different sized shells can be shot in a 12ga shotgun. you didn't say what type of shorgun you had, but they only made them for SxS or O/U shotguns. the company is called Briley Manufacturing and the also make choke tubes for shotguns. they have a website if you wanted to check them out. i don't know what your budget is, and it might be cheaper to also buy another shotgun in a smaller gauge. because the tube sets are not cheap. just a little info for you.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Very light 12 ga loads in 1 oz or even 7/8 oz have very little recoil. Look for loads labeled "Ultra-lite".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

axxe55, thanks for that info. I looked them up, and yes, that would be the perfect solution, except that my shotguns are both pump.

Here's a link for anybody that might be interested...
http://www.briley.com/tubesets/tubesetinstallationvideo.html

Rufus