Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Firing .410 or 20ga in a 12gauge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/firing-410-20ga-12gauge-48116/)

RufusTFirefly 09-11-2011 05:38 AM

Firing .410 or 20ga in a 12gauge

Hello, first post here.

I was wondering if there is anything on the market that let's, say a .410 or 20ga shell, to be fired in an otherwise stock 12ga. shotgun.

Thank you,

Rufus

Jpyle 09-11-2011 05:50 AM

Don't know the answers but my guess would be that no manufacturer is going to market a product that violates every safety rule of gun usage and risk that kind of liability. A 20 ga or .410 shell simply cannot be fully supported in a 12ga chamber...just like trying to put a .22lr in a .30-06.

Best bet would be interchangible barrels but even then I don't know if the bolt and firing pin would line up on the different diameter shells, how would the different calibers feed through the mag tube? All kinds of problems here.

Now a question...why?

RufusTFirefly 09-11-2011 06:02 AM

My girlfriend likes to go shooting as much as I do. I have two shotguns, they're both 12ga. and she doesn't like the kick of the 12ga. I was just wondering if someone might be manufacturing some specialty shells that were sized to chamber in a 12ga, but were actually a lesser load. I know I'm thinking WAY outside the box here, but I just had to ask. Or perhaps some kind of sabot type "sleeve" that could be put over the smaller shell to increase it's size for 12ga use. If I had a reloading setup (which I may in the near future) I suppose I could load up a batch of "light" loads just for her.

Rufus

Firearms4ever 09-11-2011 06:07 AM

As far as I'm aware there's no way to chamber a smaller gauge shell in a larger gauge shotgun. Your best bet would be to buy low brass ammunition or get a smaller gauge shotgun.

winds-of-change 09-11-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly (Post 578387)
My girlfriend likes to go shooting as much as I do. I have two shotguns, they're both 12ga. and she doesn't like the kick of the 12ga. I was just wondering if someone might be manufacturing some specialty shells that were sized to chamber in a 12ga, but were actually a lesser load. I know I'm thinking WAY outside the box here, but I just had to ask. Or perhaps some kind of sabot type "sleeve" that could be put over the smaller shell to increase it's size for 12ga use. If I had a reloading setup (which I may in the near future) I suppose I could load up a batch of "light" loads just for her.

Rufus

Aw, come on. Buy the little lady her own gun. That is the only answer. :D

I know they have 'recoil pads' which might make shooting that 12 gauge a little more tolerable for her.

RufusTFirefly 09-11-2011 06:11 AM

Okay guys, thanks, I see where this is going. I had a feeling, but ya know sometimes you just have to ask... :o

I guess a .410 or 20ga may just have to be my next firearm acquisition. :D

Rufus

Jpyle 09-11-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Rufus

Remington. I believe, markets a reduced recoil shell. You might also look at smaller load target or bird shoot, might help with the recoil. Other than that the recoil of a 12 ga is pretty much non-negotiable. Do you have a recoil pad on the butt?

Winchester WinLite Low Recoil Target Loads WL12FL8, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 26 grams, 980 fps, #8 Lead Sho - Able Ammo Apparently so does Win...:D

Axxe55 09-11-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Rufus

Rufus, there is a company in Houston Texas that makes what are called tube sets for shotguns, so that different sized shells can be shot in a 12ga shotgun. you didn't say what type of shorgun you had, but they only made them for SxS or O/U shotguns. the company is called Briley Manufacturing and the also make choke tubes for shotguns. they have a website if you wanted to check them out. i don't know what your budget is, and it might be cheaper to also buy another shotgun in a smaller gauge. because the tube sets are not cheap. just a little info for you.

robocop10mm 09-11-2011 06:30 AM

Very light 12 ga loads in 1 oz or even 7/8 oz have very little recoil. Look for loads labeled "Ultra-lite".

RufusTFirefly 09-11-2011 06:31 AM

axxe55, thanks for that info. I looked them up, and yes, that would be the perfect solution, except that my shotguns are both pump.

Here's a link for anybody that might be interested...
http://www.briley.com/tubesets/tubesetinstallationvideo.html

Rufus