field report....winchester SXP

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > field report....winchester SXP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 754 Times on 588 Posts

Default field report....winchester SXP

holy cow what a lemon.
shot a buddies the other day.
bbl kept loosening up every shot.
its barrel heavy.
and it kicks like a mule.
sorry guys...thumbs down from me on this gun.
its a 2x4.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

MrShotty Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1871 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I have not shot a Winchester. I have handled a few that friends have bought. The action is rather stiff even after a couple hundred rounds. The SXP does have a heavy barrel, especially the trap model. The trap model with a 32" barrel needs a tapered barrel similar to the Remington light contour barrel. I have an 870 Wingmaster with a light contour barrel. It is a good all around gun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I've only shot two. One was a short barrel model that turned me off before I pulled the trigger so I cannot offer an unbiased opinion. Second was a field model with a 28" barrel. Handled okay for me, no malfunctions. Action was a little stiff but it was new. Barrel did get a little loose after about 30 or 40 shots. A bit front end heavy, due more to the light receiver than the heavy barrel to my thinking. Didn't tempt me to give up my Wingmaster that's for sure, but it works.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1871 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I've only shot two. One was a short barrel model that turned me off before I pulled the trigger so I cannot offer an unbiased opinion. Second was a field model with a 28" barrel. Handled okay for me, no malfunctions. Action was a little stiff but it was new. Barrel did get a little loose after about 30 or 40 shots. A bit front end heavy, due more to the light receiver than the heavy barrel to my thinking. Didn't tempt me to give up my Wingmaster that's for sure, but it works.
I agree 100%. A synthetic stock does not flatter a gun with an aluminum receiver. The rotating bolt is nothing to jump up and down about. A Stevens is pretty much the same gun at half the cost.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato