Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > ffl for firing pin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
here is the fun thing. anyone can legally call themselves a gunsmith heh. there is no exam to pass its not like being a doctor. ive seen plenty of "proffessional" gunsmiths i wouldnt trust with a set of legos much less repairing any gun i own heh
Lmfao. You got that right. I've seen "gunsmiths" that can't build an AR that functions. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #12

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Lmfao. You got that right. I've seen "gunsmiths" that can't build an AR that functions. Lol
Heck, I've seen that on a popular TV show. They tried to act like they invented the piston driven AR too (of course, without actually saying such).

Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #13

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
some companies including ruger will not sell certain internal parts they dont consider user serviceable to a non ffl gunsmith type person. reason is they think they are liable somehow if a space alien comes down and anal probes you with a space pineapple while you have that part in your hand...

i know it doesnt make any sense but thats how it is with some companies. just find a friendly ffl type to order for you
Hence my saying vague. This is just something I read in a book. Something about when nfa was enacted you had to register every fa firearm or make them inoperable? I didn't really follow. I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's then. I only dabble in the fa firearms at work. This firing pin issue is another quandry in itself. Guess I have to settle for "company policy." Still seems stupid to me.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Sorry Jon. Double post. Has some issues there. I'm not tech savvy.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8391 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Fixed it for you. "Render inoperative" means permanently. As in take a cutting torch and make 3 pieces out of the receiver.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Really, it's difficult to render anything still in one piece inoperable. I know of a guy who bought an ornamental cannon. He used a gouging rod to remove the plug that was welded in the barrel. Then used a jackhammer to get the concrete out of the barrel. I have never seen this cannon with my own eyes but from what I hear he got it to fire. The things people will do with tools and a little free time never ceases to amaze me.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/