Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   ffl for firing pin? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/ffl-firing-pin-76598/)

Kdub 11-18-2012 12:08 AM

ffl for firing pin?

I noticed my firing pin on my tristar 3.5 semi auto mud gun was breaking. I called tristar who in the past has given me great custom service. Still good service, but they said they could only ship the firing pin to an ffl dealer. Is this right. My dad told me he bought a couple firing pins from Remington not too far back.

Vikingdad 11-18-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdub (Post 1018255)
I noticed my firing pin on my tristar 3.5 semi auto mud gun was breaking. I called tristar who in the past has given me great custom service. Still good service, but they said they could only ship the firing pin to an ffl dealer. Is this right. My dad told me he bought a couple firing pins from Remington not too far back.

Call them back and talk to someone else. You probably got the new guy.

Kdub 11-18-2012 12:16 AM

Seriously it seemed stupid to me. I have a vague understanding of the class 3 laws with fa guns having their pins removed so they don't have to be registered etc, but I thought this was a little far out there.

JonM 11-18-2012 12:22 AM

some companies including ruger will not sell certain internal parts they dont consider user serviceable to a non ffl gunsmith type person. reason is they think they are liable somehow if a space alien comes down and anal probes you with a space pineapple while you have that part in your hand...

i know it doesnt make any sense but thats how it is with some companies. just find a friendly ffl type to order for you

trip286 11-18-2012 12:31 AM

I've ordered a pin from Smith and Wesson. Shipped to my door.

c3shooter 11-18-2012 08:41 AM

Company policy, NOT a Federal law.

As far as an unregistered Class III firearm being magically made legal by removing the firing pin-

That is so horribly, tragically, fatally WRONG that I would urge you to place as much distance as possible between you and whoever told you that- just in case they have any other really bad ideas. :eek:

That is "Ten years in the Federal Pen with no parole" sort of wrong.

HockaLouis 11-18-2012 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mossberg would not send me a replacement resin safety switch -- the assembly with the little ball bearing is tricky and can be done wrong so they maintain a gunsmith must do it. Notice its a one-way (clutch) screw from factory -- can be screwed in but not screwed out.

Sniper03 11-18-2012 01:48 PM

C3 is 100% correct!
I am sure with your issue it may just be their company policy regarding the firing pin. But on the other issue he addressed.

Regarding any class III weapon, the minute the final functional hole is put in the Receiver it at that exact time is classified as a Class III weapon stripped and with not another parts in it. Even before the Anodizing or whatever finish is put on it. So who ever would advise just to remove the firing pin to make it non-functional would resolve a serious problem with a violation with the ATF National Firearms Act was absolutely wrong!:(

vagunsmith 11-18-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdub

Most companies won't sell firing pins or other parts that require fitting. Since a firing pin requires proper protrusion fitting, they won't sell it to anyone but gunsmiths. Chances are it won't require any fitting but they still won't take a chance.

JonM 11-19-2012 12:05 AM

here is the fun thing. anyone can legally call themselves a gunsmith :) heh. there is no exam to pass its not like being a doctor. ive seen plenty of "proffessional" gunsmiths i wouldnt trust with a set of legos much less repairing any gun i own heh