A few Shotgun questions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > A few Shotgun questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5150 View Post
Some say the choke and shells determine the spread, but others say that the shorter barrels allow the grouping to spread out more over longer distances. As for range I keep reading that 18" is plenty of space for the shell to expend all of it's gasses and reach it's maximum speed. I wish I could find where someone has done some testing with different barrel lengths and gives hard numbers as to how large a certain type of shells grouping is at a specific distance and with a specific choke on each barrel.

Thanks!
Mike
Mike5150,
When I mentioned range I was referring to distance. Bad choice of words on my part.
I also own both types of shotguns...

Shotguns are barreled accordingly due to testing by the manufacturer. HD/Tactical shotguns have 18.5" barrels, Slug guns have 24" barrels and Hunting & Skeet shooting guns have anywhere from 26"-34" barrels.
Now the shooter has the option to use his shotgun however he chooses.
You can use your Tactical 18.5" barreled shotgun for clay shooting, but you're going to have to be right on that clay as soon as it is in flight. Once the clay reaches a distance of 40+ yards it'll be out of range for your short barreled shotgun. With my 28" barreled shotgun I can bust a clay in flight at 70 yards. That's almost twice as far as with my 18.5" shotgun.

The longer barrel will give the shot max velocity and patterning consistency. And the results improve using a Full Choke compared to a Modified Choke and so on.
I've seen shooters bring their Tactical Shotguns to a Turkey Shoot and never win a match. It just might be the ability of other shooters or they're out gunned by the longer barrels.

I agree with jimbobpissypants about the shooters ability, but also the equipment does play it's part. The best skeet shooter isn't going to hit his target if it's out of range. I also agree if you're only doing it casually then use what you have and have fun with it. Once you start to like skeet/clay shooting and get a longer barrel you'll instantly notice a difference in your skills. I hope my experiences will help you. Enjoy.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #12

Quote:
I've seen shooters bring their Tactical Shotguns to a Turkey Shoot and never win a match. It just might be the ability of other shooters or they're out gunned by the longer barrels.
Most short barrel shotguns aren't tapped for choke tubes and have a cylinder fixed choke. It's not the barrel length but the choke the tactical shotguns have that's not the best choice for a turkey shoot.

GC

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Most short barrel shotguns aren't tapped for choke tubes and have a cylinder fixed choke. It's not the barrel length but the choke the tactical shotguns have that's not the best choice for a turkey shoot.

GC
Yes, but some are & I still haven't seen one win a match yet even with a Full Choke.
Do the test yourself...Take a 28" barreled shotgun shoot at a target 30 yrds. away.
Now take your 18.5" barreled shotgun with same choke & ammo and shoot at a clean fresh target. Compare the targets.

Last edited by UnderFire; 01-28-2010 at 04:45 AM.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Choke is relative. Choke can be increased by back boring. Barrel length can affect velocity. Longer barrels generally give more velocity allowing for greater effective range.

A 26" barrel will feel different than a 30" barrel. They "swing" differently. Small, fast, agile game (quail/woodcock) call for a quick moving barrel length (24-26"). Large, slower, lumbering game (ducks/geese) call for longer barrels to track more smoothly and give more velocity for the longer ranges and tougher bodies.

Barrel length is part personal decision and part game choice. My first shotgun was a Rem 870 Magnum w/30" full choke barrel. I learned to wing shoot on that gun. Ducks and geese were the primary game. Dove and quail were secondary. On occasion we encountered woodcock. These little buggers are very hard to hit for the first 30 yards of flight. They make more direction changes than any bird I have ever encountered. After 30 yards, they tended to rise and glide. That was precicely when the longer, full choke barrel became useable. Many fell to that gun after my short barreled friends missed multiple times.

The longer barrel/full choke also forced me to be more precise in my shooting. There was little margin for error with a very tight pattern. Consequently, I rarely miss with a shotgun to this day. My kids say I "never" miss. I only recall one bird (dove) get away from me in the last 15 years. It left behind a puff of feathers but kept flying. I did not miss, but for some reason it got away.

Many of the newer Remington 870 shorter barrels (18") are Improved Cylinder choked. All our 870P models are IC choked. They pattern extremely well with 00 buckshot (6-8" @ 15 yards). The rule of thumb for buckshot in a Cylinder Bore barrel is 1" of spread every yard (15 yards = 15" pattern).

Rifled barrels do not (generally) shoot good patterns with shot, be it buck or bird shot. The rotation of the shot column is adverse to good patterns.

Back to the OP Q...a combo package with a "short" barrel for HD and a 28-30" barrel for waterfowl would be close to ideal for most people.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #15

Thanks alot to everyone for all your help! I think I'm going to take the advice that most of you are giving me and go for 2 barrels. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Remington offers an 18" and 28" combo so I'll have to buy them seperately. I've pretty much set my limit at $1000 and I was hoping to get a Smith & Wesson Sigma9 handgun also. I may be able to squeeze both the shotgun with 2 barrels and the handgun in, but I'll need to find a place with really good prices. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and I'm also fine purchasing online or used. If anyone can suggest a good website or store to check out, I would really appreciate it! If I go the used route, is it pretty much word of mouth, or is there a website that I can look at for that also?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #16

Budsgunshop.com seems to have some great prices. I've heard alot of good stuff from others about them. I have no personal experience though.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #17

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default What Gun

In UK we are restricted to long barrels I find they will target an intruder as fast as any bird. Save yourself some money and for self defence sleep well in the knowledge. You can nail the low life intruders from greater distance.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
In UK we are restricted to long barrels I find they will target an intruder as fast as any bird. Save yourself some money and for self defence sleep well in the knowledge.
If I were the only one using the gun, I would agree but I'm mainly getting the 18" barrel because my wife is a shorty and doesn't think a longer barrel will be very easy for her to aim. I tried going to Bass Pro Shops in Bolingbrook which is near my house so my wife could see how the different barrel sizes feel. I was extremely unhappy when the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes and walked away from us after I asked to see one of their shotguns and he found out we haven't gotten our FOID's yet. I thought you only needed the card to purchase, I guess I was unaware we were not allowed to even touch a gun without a card.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #19

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
Budsgunshop.com seems to have some great prices. I've heard alot of good stuff from others about them. I have no personal experience though.
+1 on Buds Guns. Have ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed by price or service.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #20

Thanks alot for the heads up on Buds! Looks like I can get both guns, an 18" mossberg barrel (made for the 870) and a limbsaver recoil pad for about $850. That's assuming the S&W Sigma9 is restocked. The only things left are the choke, ammo and cleaning kit. I'll probably use the gun most for Skeet, Trap and Practice Range shooting. Hopefully I will never actually need it for Home Defense, but that's the main reason I am getting it. What type of Choke should I get? If I ever wind up going hunting I'll worry about additional chokes at that time. As for ammo, I see there are a bunch of options! I'd like to get a few nice cheap boxes for practice, but also a good box to keep for that just in case situation. If anyone knows much about 9mm ammo, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that too! Finally I will need to get a gun cleaning kit that can handle the 870, and a 9mm semi-auto pistol. I've seen plenty of universal kits by plenty of manufacturers. Are there any real differences, and any brands that you guys really like or dislike?

Last edited by Mike5150; 02-01-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added a question