A few double barrel shotgun questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > A few double barrel shotgun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A few double barrel shotgun questions

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website. I have a few questions about double barrel shotguns. First, do they still make new double barrel shotguns? I really don't know. Second, I'm confused about triggers for the shotgun. Someone told my that you can only fire both barrels at the same time with a gun with two triggers, and that a DB with only one trigger you have to fire them one at a time. Is that true? Third and last, How many shells can be in a individual barrel at a time? Only 1, ore more? I know little about DB shotguns. I appreciate any help you can give me. If you could answer all 3, that would be great.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #2

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Yes they still make them.
You can only fire both barrels at once with two triggers, BUT no one with any sense is even trying to fire more than one shell and/or barrel at a time. Single trigger guns fire one barrel with each pull of the trigger.
You can only load one shell into one barrel at a time.
Now I have a question. What do you think the purpose of a shotgun, particularly a double barreled shotgun, is?

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #3

Now that I know that information, I don't know. The only reason I would think a DB shotgun would be better than a pump action is the added power of both barrels going off at once, but since that isn't a good idea, pump action wins hands down.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

Actually, why is it bad to fire both barrel at the same time?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1000 View Post
Actually, why is it bad to fire both barrel at the same time?
You can if you want, but I would not do it. Recoil would be like 2 mules kicking you at the same time. Have you ever shot a shotgun?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

I once borrowed my buddy's Charles Daly sxs to do a little squirrel hunting. I was walking down a hedgerow and Mr. grayhead popped up and started at me. I pulled both triggers and the squirrel disappeared into a cloud of red.Recoil wasn't too bad, but that gun destroyed alot of meat.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
I once borrowed my buddy's Charles Daly sxs to do a little squirrel hunting. I was walking down a hedgerow and Mr. grayhead popped up and started at me. I pulled both triggers and the squirrel disappeared into a cloud of red.Recoil wasn't too bad, but that gun destroyed alot of meat.
lol. Im surprized you found any pieces big enough to consider them 'meat'!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #8

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

The purpose of a doubled barrel shotgun is it gives you two shots without having to reload (be advised doubles pre-dated repeaters by many years), it gives you an instant choice of two different chokes, with hunting length barrels it is a shorter package than a repeater, and doubles make some of the finest handling wingshooting guns there are.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

While the side-by-side double is far older than any repeater (and the same thing for the over-&-under) I have seen a police dept that issued short barreled doubles as an entry gun. Their reasoning was that you had 2 firing pins, 2 hammers, 2 hammer springs etc etc etc- and if 1 failed at a critical moment, then pull the other trigger. Sort of made sense.......

PS- I still bird hunt with my Granddad's 12 g Parker sxs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #10

Liked 111 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hunting regulations evin out the field.

I just bought a used boltaction 20ga, it came with a 1 round mag(yes they make 1 round mags!) the idea you had one round in the chamber and one in the mag= 2 shots allot of work to equal a double barrel.
When you buy a new shotgun ther is a 2 shot restrictor plug in the mag due to the national waterfoul restriction of only limiting 2 rounds to a magazine
they dont want guys going out with 6 shot extended mags the therory was limiting the amount of lead (pre-steel shot days)
a pump is leagally limited to one in the chamber and 2 in reserve in the mag
for migratory waterfoul, upland game Im not so shure about but bet its also like that as well.
So is a doublebarrel that bad? I dont think so its not much far off of the shotguns that are restricted by the gamelaws
it's safe to say you wouldent be breaking the magazine law, its also easy to render the gun unloaded just by breaking it open.
some guys like the feel of a double.