Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   A few double barrel shotgun questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/few-double-barrel-shotgun-questions-18535/)

MP1000 09-26-2009 01:07 AM

A few double barrel shotgun questions

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website. I have a few questions about double barrel shotguns. First, do they still make new double barrel shotguns? I really don't know. Second, I'm confused about triggers for the shotgun. Someone told my that you can only fire both barrels at the same time with a gun with two triggers, and that a DB with only one trigger you have to fire them one at a time. Is that true? Third and last, How many shells can be in a individual barrel at a time? Only 1, ore more? I know little about DB shotguns. I appreciate any help you can give me. If you could answer all 3, that would be great.

Thanks!

Virginian 09-26-2009 03:13 AM

Yes they still make them.
You can only fire both barrels at once with two triggers, BUT no one with any sense is even trying to fire more than one shell and/or barrel at a time. Single trigger guns fire one barrel with each pull of the trigger.
You can only load one shell into one barrel at a time.
Now I have a question. What do you think the purpose of a shotgun, particularly a double barreled shotgun, is?

MP1000 09-26-2009 04:08 AM

Now that I know that information, I don't know. The only reason I would think a DB shotgun would be better than a pump action is the added power of both barrels going off at once, but since that isn't a good idea, pump action wins hands down.

MP1000 09-26-2009 06:05 PM

Actually, why is it bad to fire both barrel at the same time?

skullcrusher 09-26-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP1000 (Post 165826)
Actually, why is it bad to fire both barrel at the same time?

You can if you want, but I would not do it. Recoil would be like 2 mules kicking you at the same time. Have you ever shot a shotgun?

.22hustler 09-26-2009 10:52 PM

I once borrowed my buddy's Charles Daly sxs to do a little squirrel hunting. I was walking down a hedgerow and Mr. grayhead popped up and started at me. I pulled both triggers and the squirrel disappeared into a cloud of red.Recoil wasn't too bad, but that gun destroyed alot of meat.

BigByrd47119 09-26-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .22hustler (Post 165939)
I once borrowed my buddy's Charles Daly sxs to do a little squirrel hunting. I was walking down a hedgerow and Mr. grayhead popped up and started at me. I pulled both triggers and the squirrel disappeared into a cloud of red.Recoil wasn't too bad, but that gun destroyed alot of meat.

lol. Im surprized you found any pieces big enough to consider them 'meat'!

Virginian 09-28-2009 06:56 AM

The purpose of a doubled barrel shotgun is it gives you two shots without having to reload (be advised doubles pre-dated repeaters by many years), it gives you an instant choice of two different chokes, with hunting length barrels it is a shorter package than a repeater, and doubles make some of the finest handling wingshooting guns there are.

c3shooter 09-28-2009 01:40 PM

While the side-by-side double is far older than any repeater (and the same thing for the over-&-under) I have seen a police dept that issued short barreled doubles as an entry gun. Their reasoning was that you had 2 firing pins, 2 hammers, 2 hammer springs etc etc etc- and if 1 failed at a critical moment, then pull the other trigger. Sort of made sense.......

PS- I still bird hunt with my Granddad's 12 g Parker sxs.

Rex in OTZ 09-28-2009 07:02 PM

Hunting regulations evin out the field.

I just bought a used boltaction 20ga, it came with a 1 round mag(yes they make 1 round mags!) the idea you had one round in the chamber and one in the mag= 2 shots allot of work to equal a double barrel.
When you buy a new shotgun ther is a 2 shot restrictor plug in the mag due to the national waterfoul restriction of only limiting 2 rounds to a magazine
they dont want guys going out with 6 shot extended mags the therory was limiting the amount of lead (pre-steel shot days)
a pump is leagally limited to one in the chamber and 2 in reserve in the mag
for migratory waterfoul, upland game Im not so shure about but bet its also like that as well.
So is a doublebarrel that bad? I dont think so its not much far off of the shotguns that are restricted by the gamelaws
it's safe to say you wouldent be breaking the magazine law, its also easy to render the gun unloaded just by breaking it open.
some guys like the feel of a double.