Favorite shotgun brand? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Favorite shotgun brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase012798 View Post
Mossberg 500 any body have an opinion on it
Its a great, reliable shotgun, it should last you a lifetime if you take care of it. Same for the 870. My grandfathers wingmaster is still around and in near mint condition and he bought it when he was in his teens I believe and its not like he never used it.

Last edited by gmaster456; 12-21-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Remington is the best overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman30 View Post
I own three shotguns and they are all Remington. My favorite go to shotgun is the model 870. It's durable as hell and very reliable. I've never had any problems with it.
I will echo your statement, my 870 is a workhorse and reliable in any condition. They are not too pricey either. Remington makes a lot of great shotguns, recent additions are the 11-87 and 887. The 1100 has also been around for many years (although they aren't made like they used to)

Berettas are a blast to shoot, the Eureka 2 is a good gun.

I have only shot one Benelli... it was semiautomatic and it jammed every time It left a bad impression on me, but one instance doesn't mean Benelli is a terrible brand, they make some good shooting irons too.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I have only shot one Benelli... it was semiautomatic and it jammed every time It left a bad impression on me, but one instance doesn't mean Benelli is a terrible brand, they make some good shooting irons too.
Just out of curiosity, what loads were you using?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #34

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let me try to be clear, as with all other questions such as “what ______do you think is the best”
You can ask this question to 10 different people and most likely get at least 8 different answers.
I have said in my previous post, I chose the Remington 870 as my go to shotgun. With that being said that doesn’t mean that I don’t find the Mossberg, Beneilli or any other shotgun for that matter would be a fine tool. But, compare the cost of each, what it will be the primary use of this tool. If you (unlike most) have “disposable cash” burning a hole in your pocket then, as the analogy of the VW and the Porsche is fine but, if my VW will get me “there” for less than the Porsche then why in the hell would you buy the more expensive choice? Because of a status symbol of having the high dollar shotgun in the safe?
Submitted with all due respect,
have a Merry Christmas, Happy Honokaa, last but not least a safe and prosperous New Year…..
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #35

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

the porsche gets you there much faster and handles much better also holds up longer i may not be the norm on this thred beside hunting 10 12 days a year i shoot trap 5 stand and sporting almost weekley running 5 to 6k rounds a year through my guns for a high volume shooter you generaly get what you pay for

Last edited by tonydewar; 12-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what loads were you using?
I was using 3" goose loads, I think Federal? I was hunting and it never loaded, it would lock open after every shot. I'm not sure what the problem is, but as I said, I don't want to not recommend the brand for one malfunction, I'm sure there are great Benellis out there

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr
Let me try to be clear, as with all other questions such as “what ______do you think is the best”
You can ask this question to 10 different people and most likely get at least 8 different answers.
I have said in my previous post, I chose the Remington 870 as my go to shotgun. With that being said that doesn’t mean that I don’t find the Mossberg, Beneilli or any other shotgun for that matter would be a fine tool. But, compare the cost of each, what it will be the primary use of this tool. If you (unlike most) have “disposable cash” burning a hole in your pocket then, as the analogy of the VW and the Porsche is fine but, if my VW will get me “there” for less than the Porsche then why in the hell would you buy the more expensive choice? Because of a status symbol of having the high dollar shotgun in the safe?
Submitted with all due respect,
have a Merry Christmas, Happy Honokaa, last but not least a safe and prosperous New Year…..
Well out of most people the remington 870 was brought up whitch is what I was looking for a shotgun that most people perfered, and that was what I was looking for. And about the cash I rather save up the money then buy a cheaper less reliable shotgun I have made up my mind on getting the 870 and want to thank everybody for there help. Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I was using 3" goose loads, I think Federal? I was hunting and it never loaded, it would lock open after every shot. I'm not sure what the problem is, but as I said, I don't want to not recommend the brand for one malfunction, I'm sure there are great Benellis out there
Every autoloader seems to have at least one load it doesn't like. But yeah, I know benelli makes some good guns, I like the Nova Pump and would own one if they weren't so expensive, the 26 inch field barrel for the 20ga nova costs more than the 12ga 870 express here (the 870 is $290 and the barrel is $320). And that's just the barrel. The gun is around $800 I think. There's no way I'd pay that much for a pump. I'd rather scrape together another couple hundred bucks and get a good O/U or autoloader.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100 View Post
Well out of most people the remington 870 was brought up whitch is what I was looking for a shotgun that most people perfered, and that was what I was looking for. And about the cash I rather save up the money then buy a cheaper less reliable shotgun I have made up my mind on getting the 870 and want to thank everybody for there help. Merry Christmas
I don't think the 500 is any less reliable. If anything they are even. By the way, if you get one of the cheaper 870's, watch out for the rust the finish isn't very good on them and will easily rust out. Somebody on another forum had a friend who went out shooting on a snowy day, and after returning home, he put the shotgun in the corner to be cleaned the next morning, and when he got to the gun the next morning, there were rust spots all over it.

Last edited by gmaster456; 12-21-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #40

My Benelli Nova is my favorite. Great for duck and turkey. $400-$500. With every penny in my opinion.