Exotic ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Exotic ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Exotic ammo?

The main reason I love shotguns, is because you can practically blast anything out of them. Sure you can't load it with nails and bolts like a blunderbuss, but what's stopping you from getting a round that could shoot a wall of flame 200 feet or throw a ton of carpet tacks at an unlucky intruder?
Exotic ammo is a new breed of shotgun ammo that is all specialized for a specific purpose/load. Everybody knows about the "dragons breath" flame throwing round and the flechette rounds, but a quick Internet search will reveal everything from door breaching rounds, to rounds that can explode on impact.
What are your thoughts/experiences with exotic ammo?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Honestly... If exotic ammunition were worth it, the bottomless pockets of the government would be providing it for it's agents, officers and warriors.

I've tested 12 ga. flechette rounds, they're worthless.
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette
End results published on the last page.

Short version:
If I were facing two opponents, one firing 12 ga. flechette and the other shooting 22 Shorts ....
I'd charge the guy shooting the flechettes.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Some of the exotic ammo is specifically illegal to sell or posess in my state. Flechettes and "flame-thrower", bolos and other rounds will get you a long-term room mate named bubba here. Be careful about your own states regulations.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact
Honestly... If exotic ammunition were worth it, the bottomless pockets of the government would be providing it for it's agents, officers and warriors.

I've tested 12 ga. flechette rounds, they're worthless.
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette
End results published on the last page.

Short version:
If I were facing two opponents, one firing 12 ga. flechette and the other shooting 22 Shorts ....
I'd charge the guy shooting the flechettes.
Well, sure most of the rounds are made for fun and novelty use, not really much practical purpose.
As for the flechettes, if you watch taofledermaus' slow motion weird shotgun load videos (nails, washers, dimes, wax slugs, AA batteries, etc.) a video of flechettes shows them tumbling and going off in different directions. They look cool, but other than that, nope.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Some of the exotic ammo is specifically illegal to sell or posess in my state. Flechettes and "flame-thrower", bolos and other rounds will get you a long-term room mate named bubba here. Be careful about your own states regulations.
I personally haven't bought any. I would like to try some, but most of them are sold in 3 round packs, and $15-$17 and even $20 a pack is way too expensive for casual shooting. Unless you buy one like door breaching or pitbull home defense loads.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

buy these and load your own--
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/115310.htm

I could shoot a bunch of these out of my cannon!!!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
buy these and load your own--
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/115310.htm

I could shoot a bunch of these out of my cannon!!!
Oh, I already have a lot of flechette darts. You can get 50 off eBay for $7 including shipping. I considered loading a 20 gauge shell with em, but I don't want to damage my Remington 870s barrel.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #8

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

How are you going to prevent these darts from tumbling and going everywhere? At 40 yards 00 buck will put more pellets in a paper plate and they will have more energy. I have loaded high brass shells with rock salt to run off thieves and vandals. The rock salt has a range of about 20 yards. Plus you have to use a dowel to pack the rock salt to maintain wad pressure. You are going to have to overcome these obstacles to load anything but round lead balls. Plus with the shotgun powder you buy over the counter will not create enough pressure to equal store bought velocity. In premium store bought loads they have a proprietary blend of powder.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I wouldn't mess with these flechettes, or flame rounds. There's a reason why buckshot is far more popular.

-Matt

Old 11-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns
I wouldn't mess with these flechettes, or flame rounds. There's a reason why buckshot is far more popular.
Yeah, there really only for fun. The only real use they have had, is apparently some forestry services have used the flame thrower rounds to start backburn fires. They won't replace buckshot as hunting rounds, but if you have the property and the money, go for it.