Excitement!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Excitement!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Excitement!

Ell, I just "plugged up" my 870. I'm headed up to the family farm for some good goose hunting in Northern New York state. Anybody else goose hunt?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rusty were in ny are you goin goose hunting ,the limit is high in ny,I wanna go ,but don't know were to go yet,can you fill me in

Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs
Rusty were in ny are you goin goose hunting ,the limit is high in ny,I wanna go ,but don't know were to go yet,can you fill me in
Pretty much any open field where there is light brush and some trees close by works best for my group and I. It's best to scout out the area a few days beforehand to see if there are any geese nearby. We usually set up decoys all around, and lay in sleeping bags covered in long grass. It's also best to set up before dawn. Also a good call is necessary, but don't over call.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks rusty

Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Goose hunting is one of the most exciting forms of hunting I've done. Enjoy.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8688 Times on 3761 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Rusty- please cap as many of the honkers as you can before they head South.

Here in VA we have a goose population that has stopped migrating- they like it here, and have become a very destructive pest.

State Game folks said "No longer a migratory bird, WE set seasons, not the Feds", so we have an additional goose season.

A couple of hundred of the damned honkers will DEVESTATE a field of winter wheat in no time. They have torn up a bunch of golf courses here, and farmers are sniping them with .223s from 200 yards.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Rusty- please cap as many of the honkers as you can before they head South.

Here in VA we have a goose population that has stopped migrating- they like it here, and have become a very destructive pest.

State Game folks said "No longer a migratory bird, WE set seasons, not the Feds", so we have an additional goose season.

A couple of hundred of the damned honkers will DEVESTATE a field of winter wheat in no time. They have torn up a bunch of golf courses here, and farmers are sniping them with .223s from 200 yards.
Dang. A goose with a .223? I would try that but the game warden would be very disapproving. Well we usually get a LOT of birds. I hunt in a party of 10 and the bag limit is 8 per person. We also hunt almost every day during the 25 day season, so you can do the math . Im actually starting the VERY long trip tomorrow.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #8

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yes, the management of a golf course community outside Williamsburg decide to get rid of them and poisoned them. After the local DU Chapter sued their sorry asses for several thousands of dollars bet those prissy bastards will think twice next time. Note: Having been one for many years, I do not hate all golfers. Just the Judge Smales, Bushwood types.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
Yes, the management of a golf course community outside Williamsburg decide to get rid of them and poisoned them. After the local DU Chapter sued their sorry asses for several thousands of dollars bet those prissy bastards will think twice next time. Note: Having been one for many years, I do not hate all golfers. Just the Judge Smales, Bushwood types.
Yeah. I love to play golf, but the way some people can be... I see how it can be offputting.