Effectiveness of a shotgun - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Effectiveness of a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

At close range, a shotgun is devastating. At most distances inside a house, you are delivering 1 oz. of lead....and even with bird shot...there in nothing a doctor can do for the impacted area as shot perforates body parts.

Beyond 25 yards...switch to rifled slugs....and again deliver 1 oz slug onto the target. With rifles slug barrels, a 200 yard shot on large is not only possible, but deadly ! I sighted in a 870 12ga with a scope and brenneke slugs @ 200 yards...it shot 3 inch groups !

Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Entry level question..... Do we REALLY have to get out the sliderule and the abaccus???
I know that 1/3 is equal to .33333333 infinity. But, I do have micrometers, no abacus. Again, I'm just sayin'.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I know that 1/3 is equal to .33333333 infinity. But, I do have micrometers, no abacus. Again, I'm just sayin'.
Have yourself flogged..... I hate you.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would put a 12guage shotgun head and shoulders above pistols for home defense for many reasons.

1. Variable loads (buckshot, birdshot, slugs......dimes)

2. Widespread shot. At close quarters the spread isn't going to be much at all, but it's still way more that 450 thousandths or especially 9mm.

3. Intimidation factor. Point a 9mm at someone, then a 12guage...rack the slide. (Don't do this, but get my point)

4. Reliability. I have never,ever had a pump shotgun malfunction, fail to feed, or jam in any way. With pistols I have had some issues.

I prefer the pump shotgun myself, but nothing wrong with the shotgun you prefer.

In short, a shotgun can be completely devastating in the right hands, with the right loads.

Last edited by Gojubrian; 09-30-2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: can't spell devastating or desecating or whatever!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

*starting the self flogging sequence*

Hey, that smarts!!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #16

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Shotguns remove body parts. Get hit in the leg with a slug and you are gonna be an amputee.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #17

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Correct tool for the right job

Ive a cousin (MrB) that is comfortable with rifle or shotgun in the field, he's considerbly more time behind the trigger of a shot gun than rifle from the time we were kids and Ive seen that guy do things while hunting that amazed me with his skill, hitting critters in just the head with a well placed shot we consider him our family's wizzard with a scattergun and we arnt slouches in useing shotguns & hunting .
he has it down patt where his shot is and what it will do, what a choke will do,ammo selected shot size, low brass vs waterfoul loads, at what at distances the pattern rides at from his muzzle out to the max range he's comfortable with, 1/4 again farther than Im confident with a 12ga, Ive seen his gun cabinet and he has had the same un-opened box of slugs for the last 15 years that was given him by a family friend.
The only way to know what you can do and how much is to shut off the computer and grab yer gun a couple boxes of shells and head out in the field and do it for real, not just a outing once in awhile but 4-5 boxes spread throughout a week experence leads to confidence through proficcency, ther's so short cut's with a shotgun skill honeing, this is one them things you pay your due's you get out of it what you put in.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 09-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I would put a 12guage shotgun head and shoulders above pistols for home defense for many reasons.

1. Variable loads (buckshot, birdshot, slugs......dimes)

2. Widespread shot. At close quarters the spread isn't going to be much at all, but it's still way more that 450 thousandths or especially 9mm.

3. Intimidation factor. Point a 9mm at someone, then a 12guage...rack the slide. (Don't do this, but get my point)

4. Reliability. I have never,ever had a pump shotgun malfunction, fail to feed, or jam in any way. With pistols I have had some issues.

I prefer the pump shotgun myself, but nothing wrong with the shotgun you prefer.

In short, a shotgun can be completely devastating in the right hands, with the right loads.
Oh contrare, my friend...

The only time a shotgun will work is if you have the opportunity to grab it. Unless that shotgun is by your side at all times, you really need to keep a pistol available. I love my Mossy 500, and it's ready to fire at all times. But it sits in a special location waiting... However, my pistol is in my pocket at ALL TIMES.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1000 View Post
I know it only holds two at a time, and that doesn't bother me at all. I'll just keep extra's in my pocket. It looks easy to load and unload. The reason i'm looking at the double barrel is because "It's a double barrel shotgun". I've always revered the double barrel as a, well I can't think of the right words, so i'll just say "really cool". Here's a link to the one i'm looking at. Please share any comments you have about this particular gun.

Marlin Model LC12-DB

Thanks!
You played Doom II a good bit haven't you?

Do you want this for home defense or hunting? If for hunting that it probably a very good firearm. Never handled one personally, so I can't tell you for sure. If for home defense, the barrels are to long to be effective. Something in the range of 18.5" to 20" is more suitable.
I have heard some good things about the Coach Guns from Stoeger.
Stoeger Double Defense
or
Stoeger Coach Gun, 12-Gauge, 20-Gauge, .410, with 3” Chamber
I've hand my hands on these, but haven't had a chance to fire one. Feels nice. Can't wait till I get one to fire. Hope this helps.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #20

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
Correct, thank you, .375" x 3 = 1.12" But who's counting?