Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Dove Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Dove Hunting

Friday hopefully will be dove hunting with my dad, and the republican party of Ky. Will be the first time dad and I have had the chance to hunt together. As far as that goes what are your "go to" shotshells? I'll be shooting a 12 gauge remmington 1100. I figured 7 shot in high brass would be suitable. This will also be my first outing dove hunting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

depends on your barrel. if your 1100 came with a modified barrel, then handle yo' bizness. lol if it's a full choke, either try to find a shotgun with a modified or improved cylinder, or wait til the doves are a ways away to shoot. you wanna leave some meat........... normally 7 1/2s to 8s are what we use with a modified choke.

just remember to bring plenty of shells (if you think you got enough, buy 2 more boxes ), and make sure you follow thru on your swing.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

I'm not certain of the choke. It's stamped "skeet barrel." Maybe google fu is my friend.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

skeet normally throws a pattern that spreads out quicker than improved cylinder. if you don't know your choke patterns, improved cylinder or modified is usually what is used for fast-flyin birds because of the "spread" of the shot @ distance. full choke being more of a compact pattern for a denser shot spread, and then modified, then improved cyl, then skeet (with a couple more chokes in between those, but i'll just list the typical)

with a skeet choke you will find that everyone around you will be droppin birds @ longer distances, and leavin you scratchin your head as to why you can't hit them. with that particular choke, birds will prolly need to be 15yds or closer..........or just buy some 6 shot and happy huntin.

i posted in the hunting section........our season opened this past weekend and we took 500+ birds. good luck to ya, and if you have anymore questions about bird shootin......just holla.

look @ this link, and happy huntin.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=shotgun+choke+ patterns

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the insight. I have an 870 with a modified choke. Either way I know it will be fun. Again thank you.

Oh dern....

Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

Went today with dad. Took the 1100 out. Lots of people maybe about 50+. Got peppered a lot. Anyhow had a lot of fun. I shot 7 dad shot 9. Fella shot his limit and gave his to us. Great time. Big barbecue at the end of it.

Oh dern....

gmaster456 Likes This 
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Sounds like a great time - I am envious cause I won't be doing any hunting this season...broken ankle keeping me down for at least the next 2-3 months...

Old 09-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman
Sounds like a great time - I am envious cause I won't be doing any hunting this season...broken ankle keeping me down for at least the next 2-3 months...
Sorry to hear that hope you recover well.

Oh dern....

Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

A republican party dove hunt? I hope Dick Chaney wasn't there.
cottontop