Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Dove Hunting (

kytowboater 09-04-2012 11:08 PM

Dove Hunting
Friday hopefully will be dove hunting with my dad, and the republican party of Ky. Will be the first time dad and I have had the chance to hunt together. As far as that goes what are your "go to" shotshells? I'll be shooting a 12 gauge remmington 1100. I figured 7 shot in high brass would be suitable. This will also be my first outing dove hunting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-04-2012 11:19 PM

depends on your barrel. if your 1100 came with a modified barrel, then handle yo' bizness. lol if it's a full choke, either try to find a shotgun with a modified or improved cylinder, or wait til the doves are a ways away to shoot. you wanna leave some meat..........:rolleyes:. normally 7 1/2s to 8s are what we use with a modified choke.

just remember to bring plenty of shells (if you think you got enough, buy 2 more boxes ;)), and make sure you follow thru on your swing.

kytowboater 09-04-2012 11:21 PM

I'm not certain of the choke. It's stamped "skeet barrel." Maybe google fu is my friend.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-05-2012 12:06 AM

skeet normally throws a pattern that spreads out quicker than improved cylinder. if you don't know your choke patterns, improved cylinder or modified is usually what is used for fast-flyin birds because of the "spread" of the shot @ distance. full choke being more of a compact pattern for a denser shot spread, and then modified, then improved cyl, then skeet (with a couple more chokes in between those, but i'll just list the typical)

with a skeet choke you will find that everyone around you will be droppin birds @ longer distances, and leavin you scratchin your head as to why you can't hit them. with that particular choke, birds will prolly need to be 15yds or closer..........or just buy some 6 shot and happy huntin.

i posted in the hunting section........our season opened this past weekend and we took 500+ birds. good luck to ya, and if you have anymore questions about bird shootin......just holla. :D

look @ this link, and happy huntin. patterns

kytowboater 09-05-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks for the insight. I have an 870 with a modified choke. Either way I know it will be fun. Again thank you.

kytowboater 09-08-2012 02:34 AM

Went today with dad. Took the 1100 out. Lots of people maybe about 50+. Got peppered a lot. Anyhow had a lot of fun. I shot 7 dad shot 9. Fella shot his limit and gave his to us. Great time. Big barbecue at the end of it.

astroman 09-08-2012 02:40 AM

Sounds like a great time - I am envious cause I won't be doing any hunting this season...broken ankle keeping me down for at least the next 2-3 months...:(

kytowboater 09-08-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by astroman
Sounds like a great time - I am envious cause I won't be doing any hunting this season...broken ankle keeping me down for at least the next 2-3 months...:(

Sorry to hear that hope you recover well.

cottontop 09-08-2012 09:42 PM

A republican party dove hunt? I hope Dick Chaney wasn't there.