Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > double vs single barell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default double vs single barell

I searched the forum for "single barell" "double barell" then just "barell" then "barel" and still turned up nothing that answered my question. I have heard mention of single barell and then also of double barell, what is the difference?
Also though mildly off topic is there any difference between a usual shotgun and a 'youth shotgun'?
Thank you very much!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I'll play nice. A youth shotgun has a stock cut for the reach of a young person. A double barrel shotgun has two chambers either side by side or over and under and each chamber is single shot. Single barrel shotguns can be single shot, multi-shot pump, multi shot semi-automatic, or multi-shot lever action. Good luck!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #3

is there any difference in power or whatnot (i dont know what the right term is) between single or double or youth versus regular?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #4

Depends on their chamberings. 12 gauge is more powerful, holds more shot in the cartridge. 20 gauge, less so. 410 less so, is pretty small.

The 12 gauge is pretty much the American standard for sporting, hunting, and defense guns.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #5

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

"Power" is determined by the ammunition more so than by the gun. I can load a 12 g shotgun with a light load for dove hunting, or a Magnum buckshot load for deer.

A "double barrel" shotgun has one stock, one forearm, and 2 of everything else- 2 chambers, 2 firing pins, 2 extractors. 2 barrels. Perhaps the earliest form of a repeating firearm. They may be side-by-side (sxs) where barrels are parallel, and left to right, or and over-and-under (O/U) where one barrel is above the other.

"Youth" models (or, as dey say in da Bronx, "ute" models) are generally made in a lighter gauge- say 20 or 410, and have a shorter stock to fit a younger person. ALSO very popular with smaller people with no Y chromosome.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #6

so if i used the same amunition in either a single barel a double barel or a youth gun it would have the same amount of power/strength?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Ok, since I know where you are headed, I'll give you this.

A youth model is just shorter in the stock and lighter. I believe you have stated that you are like 5' tall or so? You need to be looking at a youth .20 ga pump single barrel, imo. The double barrel is more for trap/skeet/rabbit. I understand that you are looking at a home defense shotgun you can handle. I suggest the .20 ga pump (meaning every time you pump it, a new round loads) in youth model smooth bore if possible. Jmho from what I know about your situation and circumstances.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #8

notwhywhynot - I see you are in Raleigh; take a trip to Perry's Guns in Wendell - it is only about 15-20 mins from you. They are good folks and have plenty of helpful staff who can walk you through a good selection of what you need.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Thank you all very very much, i actualy live almost in wendell and am going to go visit perrys as soon as i can! you guys are awesome!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I hope you find out what you need or like. Do not let an over zealous gun sales guy take advantage or brush you off. Get some info, write it down and double check here and give prices. Also find out if the shop offers a firearms safety course.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!