Double Defense Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Double Defense Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Double Defense Shotgun

So what do you guys think about this shotgun?

Stoeger Double Defense

I'm looking for a good home defense shotgun and came across this on another thread. I of course wouldn't need a scope on it, and I know it only holds 2 shots, but 2 shots is really all you would need....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #2

If you're sure 2 shots are all you would need then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance.

Stoeger has a bit of a rep out on the interwebz but I have one of their pump guns and am very pleased with it, nice handling, reliable, good service from Stoeger too.

That double looks cool... if you're into that.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Personally, I think a double gun has a very strong place in home defense. They are very simple to use, flip the safety and pull, doesn't get much easier. Easy to reload as well. Plus, 2 rounds of 12ga isn't anything to sneeze at. Remember, the average person looking for a HD gun wants to defend his family and I'm willing to bet that 2 rounds from that gun would be enough for 99% of break-ins. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of that thing. Don't forget, a side by side is one of the easiest shouldered guns to point, there is a reason a lot of youngsters start with them.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hell, I want one!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I've handed the Stoeger, never shot one, but it seems like a good gun for the price to be honest.

A side by side is a good gun, especially for pointability and hitability.

I don't recommend a shotgun as the first choice for home defense.

Shouldering and moving through doorways or around corners with a rifle or shotty is more complicated than with a pistol.

A good pistol, even a revolver, is going to offer more shots than the side by side - but the shotty will definitely get someone's attention and in a hurry.... LOL

The underside rail on the Stoeger is kind of a neat feature - can mount a light with a touch switch on the front of the stock. Could be effective if you used correctly.

If you purchase, please post up a range report and let us know how you like it.

JD

Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A tacticool coach gun. What's next? Railed pea shooters?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

JD, I have a 16ga Stoeger and love it. Mind you it is a late 60's model which was made in Spain so it's a little bit different then the subject gun. Stoeger is a lower cost shotgun, but I haven't heard much bad about them.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

20 inch double barreled 12 gauge, ported with rails.........I like it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I liked it when MattG was droolin over it, and i like it now. I've often considered getting mom a sidebyside shotty in 20 guage; she has aging, sensitive wrists that limit pistol usability.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #10

Its nice, but I personally prefer shorter barrel pump gun. I have an 18.5" Mossberg 9-shot pump. It was only $399 at Cabelas. As far as a pistol being better for home defense..that's a personal choice. I live in a condo with someone above me and beside me. I prefer a shot gun with home defense rounds that are less likely to penetrate walls.