Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Double Defense Shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/double-defense-shotgun-19383/)

DoyleTheDog 10-23-2009 04:27 PM

Double Defense Shotgun

So what do you guys think about this shotgun?

Stoeger Double Defense

I'm looking for a good home defense shotgun and came across this on another thread. I of course wouldn't need a scope on it, and I know it only holds 2 shots, but 2 shots is really all you would need....

OlPainless 10-23-2009 04:33 PM

If you're sure 2 shots are all you would need then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't take that chance.

Stoeger has a bit of a rep out on the interwebz but I have one of their pump guns and am very pleased with it, nice handling, reliable, good service from Stoeger too.

That double looks cool... if you're into that.

spittinfire 10-23-2009 05:10 PM

Personally, I think a double gun has a very strong place in home defense. They are very simple to use, flip the safety and pull, doesn't get much easier. Easy to reload as well. Plus, 2 rounds of 12ga isn't anything to sneeze at. Remember, the average person looking for a HD gun wants to defend his family and I'm willing to bet that 2 rounds from that gun would be enough for 99% of break-ins. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of that thing. Don't forget, a side by side is one of the easiest shouldered guns to point, there is a reason a lot of youngsters start with them.

suprdave 10-23-2009 06:46 PM

Hell, I want one!

Dillinger 10-23-2009 06:59 PM

I've handed the Stoeger, never shot one, but it seems like a good gun for the price to be honest.

A side by side is a good gun, especially for pointability and hitability.

I don't recommend a shotgun as the first choice for home defense.

Shouldering and moving through doorways or around corners with a rifle or shotty is more complicated than with a pistol.

A good pistol, even a revolver, is going to offer more shots than the side by side - but the shotty will definitely get someone's attention and in a hurry.... LOL

The underside rail on the Stoeger is kind of a neat feature - can mount a light with a touch switch on the front of the stock. Could be effective if you used correctly.

If you purchase, please post up a range report and let us know how you like it.

JD

CA357 10-23-2009 07:02 PM

A tacticool coach gun. What's next? Railed pea shooters? :rolleyes:

spittinfire 10-23-2009 07:27 PM

JD, I have a 16ga Stoeger and love it. Mind you it is a late 60's model which was made in Spain so it's a little bit different then the subject gun. Stoeger is a lower cost shotgun, but I haven't heard much bad about them.

IGETEVEN 10-23-2009 07:40 PM

20 inch double barreled 12 gauge, ported with rails.........I like it. :cool:

Jack

orangello 10-23-2009 07:44 PM

I liked it when MattG was droolin over it, and i like it now. I've often considered getting mom a sidebyside shotty in 20 guage; she has aging, sensitive wrists that limit pistol usability.

MaJeeper 10-23-2009 09:30 PM

Its nice, but I personally prefer shorter barrel pump gun. I have an 18.5" Mossberg 9-shot pump. It was only $399 at Cabelas. As far as a pistol being better for home defense..that's a personal choice. I live in a condo with someone above me and beside me. I prefer a shot gun with home defense rounds that are less likely to penetrate walls.