Don't like my SBE II
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Don't like my SBE II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Don't like my SBE II

I'm not happy with my Benelli Super Black Eagle. I originally bought it as general purpose (hunting) 12 gauge. I also bought a slug barrel. I don't have much experience with slug guns, but this one hurts. For waterfowl, the gun has functioned well, but I haven't functioned well behind the gun. I have other Benellis that work well for me. I'm looking for highly reliable, light, soft shooting, auto loader. Any specific models I should be looking at?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I love my SBE II for Turkey. It also worked well for pheasant a couple of years ago.

Although I bought a 20 ga Benelli Montefeltro from a friend and that is now my preferred pheasant gun. Not so much a knock on my SBE, just that carrying a 20 and its ammo is much easier when walking mile long corn fields in South Dakota. I shoot 3 inch 20's so the recoil is not that much different than 2.75 12's.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #3

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

If I was looking for a soft shooter I sure wouldn't be looking at Benellis, but I don't like two piece stocks and other gizmos to reduce recoil.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

I have an sbe and it is probably the best shooting bird gun I have shot. For me the sbe shoulders perfect to me. I have long arms, especially for my height, it swings and handles beautifully. I don't notice any recoil because of shooting so much 3-gun, especially slugs. This last season I only shot 35 birds total, all but 2 were headshots. It digests any steel shot I feed it and i have only put Kent fast lead and Winchester AA through it for lead, not a single hiccup. Photo is my first hunt with the sbe this year, 6 rooster and 4 grouse. 2nd photo is our pup(first hunt for pheasants) my fathers nova and the sbe with the roosters.

forumrunner_20120124_003741.jpg

forumrunner_20120124_003617.jpg

Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Slugs are not the softest things to shoot. Especially from a rest trying to sight in. I put a folded up towel on my shoulder when on a rest. I have a Nova pump so there is no take up in the action. Standing is a lot easier. If you want a buckshot defense load, try the reduced recoil loads.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #6

Never heard of a soft shooting 12 guage?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-22Plinker View Post
Never heard of a soft shooting 12 guage?
Semi autos are much easier on the shoulder than singles, doubles and pumps.

Gas operated guns have the least felt recoil, Remington 1100, 11-87 are gas example. Spring operated guns like a Browing A-5 probably have the most "kicK".

Benelli semi's are inertia driven and seem to me to be in the middle between gas and spring. YMMV.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrussell View Post
I have an sbe and it is probably the best shooting bird gun I have shot. For me the sbe shoulders perfect to me. I have long arms, especially for my height, it swings and handles beautifully. I don't notice any recoil because of shooting so much 3-gun, especially slugs.

Those are good looking birds. Maybe I need to get some long arms like you. The gun has always felt clunky to me. I was out last week for sea ducks and felt punished afterwards. And, of course, only 4 ducks to show for it. I haven't used the gun for upland. When I do get out, I take my 20.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

"Inertia" is a marketing moniker. It does absolutely nothing to alleviate recoil. The entire gun, minus the rear of the bolt, must move quickly to the rear in order for the action to function. It is a very simple and reliable action. So is a long recoil action, but I will take a gas gun any time. And not just because of recoil. The gas guns are much more likely to cycle a wider range of loads reliably, and I like the smoother feel.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito

Those are good looking birds. Maybe I need to get some long arms like you. The gun has always felt clunky to me. I was out last week for sea ducks and felt punished afterwards. And, of course, only 4 ducks to show for it. I haven't used the gun for upland. When I do get out, I take my 20.
Yeah, I have a 6'2" arm span and I am only 5'10". Sucks for doing push ups in a pt test but it is nice or everything else. I have shot the carp out if 1100, literally work 2 receivers out beyond reusable. I have just found Benelli to shoot faster and after practice recoil is relative, you know what it will be and expect it. If you really done like it, the SBEII will sell at a decent value.

do no harm, do know harm