Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Does anyone ever sell a clean shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does anyone ever sell a clean shotgun?

I've just purchased my 3rd shotgun in as many months from different on-line sources. One from an auction site and 2 from different boards. All of the sales and deliveries went off without a hitch and the condition of the guns were as good or better than advertised. Absolutely no complaints with condition or the speed of shipping by the sellers.
To make a long story short. The cleanliness, or lack of, was a total shock, with the last one, an Ithaca Model 37 featherweight in 16ga. being the worst of all. We're not talking about I shot it a few times and forgot to clean it just last week dirt. We're talking about baked on crud from the last millennium. The bores weren't even swabbed out. The trigger group in a S X S 16ga. that I bought was so filthy I wasn't sure that it would clean up. It did, but not without a lot of soaking and elbow grease on the part of yours truly. Am I just having a run of bad luck? Do any of the rest of you see this sort of thing when you purchase from individuals over the 'net?
Don

Spotted owl tastes just like chicken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Old crusty shotguns

I bought a used 870 wingmaster, when i came to fire it, it fired 3 out of 5 tries
I tried different ammo with same results
Long story short I removed the breech bolt and dunked it in a ultra sonic tank cleaner at work useing stoddard solvent, the gunk kept ouzeing out that bolt I eventually removed the fireing pin and found a sizeable quantity of gunk had accumilated in the area ahead the fireing pin so as each time it was fired, it would pack more junk ahead the inerta fireing pin till it was skip fireing.
a good detailed cleaning never hurt anything.
A ultrasonic cleaner is great if you have access to one.

I viseted my uncle years back, we wanted to hunt phesants on a part his farmland, he said I could use his old shotgun a Winchester model 25, He hadent shot it since highschool he said, he wasent kidding, I studied it and eventually figured out the slide release but it was so crusted up we couldent open the bolt!
we could see live rounds still in the mag and was able to work them out without useing the bolt.
After a good soaking of penetrating and giggling and working the action (20 minutes) I was able to pull the bolt back a 1/4"!! some more fiddling and eventually the bolt creeped back and a very old paper shot shell dropped on the kitchen table!
Gulp!.............. Uncle Woodrow got the hairey eyeball! from all in the kitchen.
that shotgun sat in the guncabinet since 1962 loaded!
Uncle Woodrow had been in the National Guard in the late 1950's and should have known how to properly care for a weapon he was one the platoons machinegunners!
That old shot gun after a good cleaning did take a nice rooster phesant that afternoon useing the old ammo from the mag and returned this time "unloaded" to the guncabinet and as far as I know is still there.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-19-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've noticed that unless you purchase a gun new, 99% of the time you're going to take it home dirty. I bought an old 16 pump online and everythign went well with the deal but I had to completely disassemble it twice and scrub the crap out of it to get it clean. After that it's been fine. I guess people figure, well, I'm selling it. I'll shoot it one more time and then get rid of it and never bother to clean it.

It bothers me to the point that whenever I sell a used gun I make sure it's clean before making the transaction. Plus if the gun looks good, people are usually willing to spend a little more for it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

That's kind of like changing the oil on a used car before you sell it. No one bothers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default cleaning barrels

My employer requires us to qualify with shotguns each spring before summer work season begins (12ga pumps& 1oz Slugs carried while we work bear habatat) after a day of shooting them 12 ga pumps get pretty bad plastic fouling down the length the barrel (each gun may be fired up to 30-40 times), my first year cleaning (had 5 guns to clean) as Im a maintenance guy, I found it took me about 6 hours of steady scrubing on just one barrel with cleaning rod and bristle brush and Hoppes #9 cleaner and later on a Bore snake but still a band of plastic fouling a couple inches in front the chamber for the next 4-6" all that soaking and scrubbing did was scuff the plastic bonded to the barrel the thin spots cleaned off fast the heavy stuff shrugged off all attempts at removing it , then I got smart the second day and quit messing round I used a Kroil penetrating oil to get under the plastic to release it from the metal in cleaning Plastic fouling you need a release agent and heat and chucked up a brass bristle brush on a section of cleaning rod in the 3/8 electric drill and went to town.
most the barrel will clean up just fine the first 2" and the outer 1/3 the barrel will clean fine the rest is a bear (pun intended) from the plastic fouling from a steady diet of slugs (Winchester is the worst and #2 is Federal) Grasp the barrel where the worst fouling is and run the brush in and run it a while the barrel will heat a little so if its warm's where you grasping the barrel you know your on target where the fouling is, without having to look all the time, Im really impressed with My sons new 3" 20ga H&R Pump which has a really brite and shiny bore and cleans super easy, allot easyer than my Remington 870 and Mossberg 500A both kinda hang on to plastic fouling more than they should, Im thinking of wrapping a 1/2 thickness scotchbrite strip on a brass brush and doing the cleaning rod and drill routine and polishing ther bore's and ending up useing a bore mop with automobile buffing compound.

Now if only I could coin a new term for cleaning shotguns with a drill (Zip-Clean?)
Roto clean? , Spin clean beats the term of drill and cleaning rod section and such.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-21-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default shot gun for sale

I just so happen to be selling a mossberg 500, im in the military so i know to to keep a clean and working gun, comes with what u see and a slue of other parts, $350
gun is 2 months old ignore camra date on pic, i cant figure out how to set it.

301_1016.jpg  

Last edited by deathkricket; 05-21-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

well, the only used shotgun I bought was an 870. I bought it from my cousin however, and he had only shot it three times. He sold it because he didn't like the kick and I personally don't mind it. That being said, I was given a Thompson Center Arms Hawkens .50 rifle from his dad. I don't know if he ever shot it, but it was covered with rust, and since it was a freebie, I didn't mine cleaning the bore. It's kinda hit or miss with used guns, but as long as they're reasonably cleanable I don't mind.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I keep all my firearms spotless and would be ashamed if I sold someone a cruddy firearm ( If is the word here, I hardly ever sell a firearm)

I was looking at an old wingmaster at the last gun show I attended and it had sand, carbon, and even vegetation in the slide and bolt. Told the seller about it and tried to get him to knock some of the price off of it because of lack of maintenance, he told me if he had cleaned it he would have to of added 50 bucks to the price

Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default lol

lol now thats what i call inflation