Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Does anybody shoot 28 gage scatterguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does anybody shoot 28 gage scatterguns

Hi, I've a 28 gage that I love for upland game birds, any body else?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Yes, I have had three, and they are fun guns for skeet and birds. I have hunted quail and dove with mine, but the first two were strictly fair weather guns - doubles. I have an 1100 in 28 gauge now so I can use it for everything, because I can take it apart down to the last washer and clean and dry it if I have to. Recoil is just brutal though.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Never found the need for a 28 gauge. With all the different designed 12ga. loads my needs are covered. Some talk through mfg. reps is that 28ga. is a dying gauge, although new for 2010 Benelli released a 28ga. semi-auto.Shows potential, but I wonder how it'll do in todays market?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I couldn't afford to shoot a 28ga! my favorite bird gun is my 16ga side by side. It points like it's an extension of my body.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My favorite gauge! Have Browning O/U for sporting clays, SKB 385 Sporting SXS, Remington 870, and 28 ga tubes for a 20 gauge SxS. I reload on a PW reloader, so save a bunch on shells. The first gun I pick up going to the range, and a great upland bird gun.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

I love my 28's. I have a 48 AL and a Model-12. I shoot mine quite a bit duck hunting. A 5lb 4oz auto loader and a day long supply of shells in one pants pocket. You can't get any where close to that with a 12.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Mag12 View Post
A 5lb 4oz auto loader and a day long supply of shells in one pants pocket. You can't get any where close to that with a 12.
Of course a 12ga. can't compete against a 28ga. in weight, but 12ga. light-weight models have been around for several years and now with durable synthetic stocks & fore-ends, aluminum receivers, etc 12ga. auto's have even gotten lighter. The average weight of most 12ga's is less than 7LBS.
For a pound and a few ounces there's really not much of a weight advantage to talk about. BTW, I can keep a day long supply of 12ga. shells in one pants pocket.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Of course a 12ga. can't compete against a 28ga. in weight, but 12ga. light-weight models have been around for several years and now with durable synthetic stocks & fore-ends, aluminum receivers, etc 12ga. auto's have even gotten lighter. The average weight of most 12ga's is less than 7LBS.
For a pound and a few ounces there's really not much of a weight advantage to talk about. BTW, I can keep a day long supply of 12ga. shells in one pants pocket.
It's really about looks and balance--yes, you can get lightweight 12 gauges, but they don't handle anything like a properly proportioned 28 gauge. Especially in a side by side, there's just nothing that balances as nice yet hits with enough authority for all upland birds. Do you need one? No, but once you have one it will probably become your favorite shotgun.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
, I can keep a day long supply of 12ga. shells in one pants pocket.
It's not a question of can but rather a question of,,,, Why?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
It's really about looks and balance--yes, you can get lightweight 12 gauges, but they don't handle anything like a properly proportioned 28 gauge. Especially in a side by side, there's just nothing that balances as nice yet hits with enough authority for all upland birds. Do you need one? No, but once you have one it will probably become your favorite shotgun.
Missileman,
I know you're very knowledgable about shotguns. I have had some good conversations in the past with you. I've shot & messed with 28ga.'s in the past, but they didn't impress me enough to get one.
Outside of SXS (I understand your point), semi-auto's look the same, just different size & weight. Balance does help with swing & handling, but there's some well balanced 12 & 20 ga's out there. Hey, we're all different and like what we like. I think I'm too much of a 12ga. man to have a 28ga. as my favorite shotgun, but that's just me. I believe if I ever saw a 12ga. as too much gun for a particular hunt I would go with a 20ga. instead.

28ga. shotguns have been out for a very long time, but I see more & more 28ga's dropped from mfg's production model line up.