Do you leave it cocked?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Do you leave it cocked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you leave it cocked?

Since curiosity killed the cat, I got to thinking how many people leave their hammers cocked in their shotguns. Now I'm talking about non HD shotguns, like when you're done hunting or the sorts.

So my question to the all the frequent shotgun users, do YOU keep your hammer cocked even if the gun is completely empty?

S.S.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, pretty much unless it has an external hammer.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

I have a single shot, but I never cock it unless I'm shooting it.

S.S.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #4

Out of habit, I don't leave the hammer cocked on anything if it's in storage/ put away. Dry fire everything to unload the springs and then I lock them up.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts

Nope. I have snap caps and drop the hammer before putting them in the safe. Just another little ritual to make sure they are less likely to be loaded. It is not really needed since modern music wire coil springs get "worn' by cycling them, not by leaving them compressed or uncompressed, but I do it anyway.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a single shot 410 but I never leave the hammer cocked. It only gets pulled back when I'm ready to shoot it.
My dad talks about my grandfather and my great uncle going pheasant hunting. He said the one would always fuss at the other for walking around with the hammers back on a loaded shotgun. Scary thought.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #7

Of course my external hammer guns are uncocked unless ready to fire, but I think the issue centers more around internal hammer guns that automatically cock by either having been just fired or by cycling unfired rounds out before storage. I have read about using snap caps, and I have read heated arguments in other forums about whether or not this is necessary or helpful.

So, here's my take. Neither myself, nor anybody in my family uses or has used snap caps, so therefore, all of our guns are stored cocked. As for the effects on the gun, the oldest gun we still use every hunting season is a Rem pre-M11 (1930's vintage), and it shows zero effects of wear from being stored cocked for 80 years. My personal firearms subject to being stored cocked:
1958 Browning A5 (auto)
1950's Spanish Double (internal hammer)
1960's Ithaca 51 (auto)
1980's Weatherby (pump)

All these guns are flawless year after year.