Do I need an 18.5" barrel? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1750 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 9580

If it was me looking for an 18.5 inch barrel, I would go to my LGS and look for a used fixed choke field barrel. length is irrelevant, choke is irrelevant. i would just be cutting it down to 18.5 to 19 inches, and adding a new bead to the end of it.

i picked up a 28" field barrel with a fixed mod. choke for my 870 for $50 about 2 years ago with a broken front bead. Bought a new bead for about 10 bucks while at the same shop. I can now used my HD and deer shotgun for bird hunting as well. Deals are out there, you just have to look for them.

Check Ebay. I have seen a lot of 870 parts on their site for cheap. I just picked up a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 barrel that is bent at 22 inches up from the back of the chamber. rather than straighten it out, i am just going to cut it down to 19 inches and turn it into a slug and H\D barrel for her birthday.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #12

Liked 305 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 23

FWIW I run a 23" 870 turkey gun for HD. It's short enough.
Have had shorter and longer, and can mod bbls, or buy whatever I want...............the 23" works for turkey, HD and I even ran it on doves multiple times at 50%. Not the best gun for that, but it worked decent.
Could screw in a IMp Cyl or maybe even rifled, add a scope and be good for deer (don't want long bbls for that- big recoil, shooter variability, want least time of flight in bore).

And my 835 with rifled bbl (when they first came out) shot foster slugs better than sabots. (3" better than 2 3/4"...........no 3.5" slugs back then).

Yeah the rifling was rough, and it leaded up badly, but I tested for cleaning interval and took a buck at 165 yards and a doe at 90. Put the holes where I wanted too.

Last edited by Hookeye; 03-27-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
No you don't. When the choke is installed it is 20 inches, that is not that much shorter than 23 inches, so I do not see the need to switch barrels. What you need is a handgun or 16 inch carbine if you need a rifle.

18.5 inch barrel with 1.5 inch choke

16 inch carbine in 40 S&W

16 inch carbine in 223 Remington

What I think you really need.

Jim

Hey Jim! That's MY PT-92!!!(jk,..mine has a 5.2" Bar-Sto match barrel, and my grips are a lighter wood...)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Molon: my Mossberg SA-20 is 22" plus the choke. I think it really depends on the corners and doors in your place. I have a Single level house with a "Semi-open" floor plan( kitchen, dining rm, and living room is one big L shaped space,.but it's a back up close qtrs weapon. Not the primary. Handguns are always the primary unless you must escalate the level of response to a threat. Home invasion by 2 or more and we go to extra guns...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 793

It's only been the last 10 years or so that a lot of people had a short barrel shotgun for home defense. Millions of people have successfully defended their home with a shotgun that had a 28" or longer barrel.

In fact, it is only the internet gun guru that believes he/she would be handicapped by a long barreled shotgun. After killing rabbits and quail in thick brush with a 28"/30" barrel people with hunting experience are confident with a long barrel shotgun.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-27-2014 at 12:14 PM.
JonM Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1816 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if you are using the shotgun for HD, instead of "house clearing", you do not need to shorten the barrel. My recommendation is that you hunker down and defend yourself & family, and call 911 & let the PD clear the house. MHO

Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It's only been the last 10 years or so that a lot of people had a short barrel shotgun for home defense. Millions of people have successfully defended their home with a shotgun that had a 28" or longer barrel.

In fact, it is only the internet gun guru that believes he/she would be handicapped by a long barreled shotgun. After killing rabbits and quail in thick brush with a 28"/30" barrel people with hunting experience are confident with a long barrel shotgun.
That's true. People confuse home defense with CQ combat. Gun magazines and the entertainment industry are especially fond of tactical shotguns.

Edit. Eatmydust just said it while I was typing.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if you are using the shotgun for HD, instead of "house clearing", you do not need to shorten the barrel. My recommendation is that you hunker down and defend yourself & family, and call 911 & let the PD clear the house. MHO
Both of these are very true. The only thing that really makes a shorter barrel better is its easier to hide out of sight in the home.

In my home we currently keep an ak47 underfolder in a hidden spot thats our defensive point mainly because its so short with the stock folded its easy go get out in a hurry. I would prefer an ar15 but i havent done a sbr yet for that

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #18

Liked 305 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:

Uh, I'll still take an 870 Special Field 20 for that thick critter stuff.
Got mine before the internet