Do I need an 18.5" barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

I have an 870 with a 23" barrel on it. For the past few months I have been thinking about an 18.5" barrel and it *could* be fit into my budget but if I DON'T need it, then I don't want to get it. SO I turn to the awesome people you are, yes or no? Clearing corners and all aside, what would my "new" advantages be? In a perfect world, of course I would go with the 18.5", but is it necessary? Thanks guys as always!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I have an 870 with a 23" barrel on it. For the past few months I have been thinking about an 18.5" barrel and it *could* be fit into my budget but if I DON'T need it, then I don't want to get it. SO I turn to the awesome people you are, yes or no? Clearing corners and all aside, what would my "new" advantages be? In a perfect world, of course I would go with the 18.5", but is it necessary? Thanks guys as always!
a shorter barrel would be handier for sure, but i don't think it's an absolute need, by any means. at close range of most SD usage, the barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in pattern, only that a shorter barrel is more handy and easier to move about with.

only you can decide whether it's truly needed or not. most 18.5" barrels are cylinder choked and don't have screw-in choke tubes.

check out MidwayUSA for barrels and the gun auction sites for used barrels.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
a shorter barrel would be handier for sure, but i don't think it's an absolute need, by any means. at close range of most SD usage, the barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in pattern, only that a shorter barrel is more handy and easier to move about with.

only you can decide whether it's truly needed or not. most 18.5" barrels are cylinder choked and don't have screw-in choke tubes.

check out MidwayUSA for barrels and the gun auction sites for used barrels.
Thanks for the input. That is a thing I forgot to mention; the shot will not have time to spread in a standard HD situation, because the ranges are so close!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #4

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Do I need an 18.5" barrel?
No you don't. When the choke is installed it is 20 inches, that is not that much shorter than 23 inches, so I do not see the need to switch barrels. What you need is a handgun or 16 inch carbine if you need a rifle.

18.5 inch barrel with 1.5 inch choke

16 inch carbine in 40 S&W

16 inch carbine in 223 Remington

What I think you really need.

Jim

Old 03-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
No you don't. When the choke is installed it is 20 inches, that is not that much shorter than 23 inches, so I do not see the need to switch barrels. What you need is a handgun or 16 inch carbine if you need a rifle.

18.5 inch barrel with 1.5 inch choke

16 inch carbine in 40 S&W

16 inch carbine in 223 Remington

What I think you really need.

Jim
I guess I am late to the whole Handgun VS. Shotgun debate. I have trained a lot with my 870 and I feel comfortable having that more so than a handgun. There are many advantages to either one, it really just comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I like your setup. As far as I know, remington barrels have the rem-choke system in them so I am not sure that would surpass the length.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #6

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

It sounds like you are using a smooth bore and shot in the gun. I could see spending the extra money for another barrel if you get it as a rifled barrel and use slugs then it can be used for deer hunting as well (a good excuse to buy another barrel).

Mine is a smooth bore and uses 00 buck shot, but I have Foster Slugs for it as well.

Jim

Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

With shotguns barrel length is irrelevant for velocity and spread of shot pattern its all about the choke. Longer barrels make it muuuuuuch easier to aim without a reflex type rds sight.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

I had fun with an 18" barrel shooting low flying skeet.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
It sounds like you are using a smooth bore and shot in the gun. I could see spending the extra money for another barrel if you get it as a rifled barrel and use slugs then it can be used for deer hunting as well (a good excuse to buy another barrel).

Mine is a smooth bore and uses 00 buck shot, but I have Foster Slugs for it as well.

Jim
Shotguns, surprisingly, were the last type of gun I really learned about, and with everything else I am still learning more about firearms every day.

As far as I am aware, foster slugs are for bores that aren't smooth and can be fired with any choke, right?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9156 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Foster slugs (actually, Forster, but nobody calls them that) are for smoothbores, and yes, can be safely fired thru any choke EXCEPT Extra Full (normally only found with turkey hunters). The Sabot slug is used with rifled barrels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug#Brenneke_slugs

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.