Do I need an 18.5" barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Do I need an 18.5" barrel?

I have an 870 with a 23" barrel on it. For the past few months I have been thinking about an 18.5" barrel and it *could* be fit into my budget but if I DON'T need it, then I don't want to get it. SO I turn to the awesome people you are, yes or no? Clearing corners and all aside, what would my "new" advantages be? In a perfect world, of course I would go with the 18.5", but is it necessary? Thanks guys as always!

__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I have an 870 with a 23" barrel on it. For the past few months I have been thinking about an 18.5" barrel and it *could* be fit into my budget but if I DON'T need it, then I don't want to get it. SO I turn to the awesome people you are, yes or no? Clearing corners and all aside, what would my "new" advantages be? In a perfect world, of course I would go with the 18.5", but is it necessary? Thanks guys as always!
a shorter barrel would be handier for sure, but i don't think it's an absolute need, by any means. at close range of most SD usage, the barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in pattern, only that a shorter barrel is more handy and easier to move about with.

only you can decide whether it's truly needed or not. most 18.5" barrels are cylinder choked and don't have screw-in choke tubes.

check out MidwayUSA for barrels and the gun auction sites for used barrels.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
a shorter barrel would be handier for sure, but i don't think it's an absolute need, by any means. at close range of most SD usage, the barrel length isn't going to make a huge difference in pattern, only that a shorter barrel is more handy and easier to move about with.

only you can decide whether it's truly needed or not. most 18.5" barrels are cylinder choked and don't have screw-in choke tubes.

check out MidwayUSA for barrels and the gun auction sites for used barrels.
Thanks for the input. That is a thing I forgot to mention; the shot will not have time to spread in a standard HD situation, because the ranges are so close!
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Do I need an 18.5" barrel?
No you don't. When the choke is installed it is 20 inches, that is not that much shorter than 23 inches, so I do not see the need to switch barrels. What you need is a handgun or 16 inch carbine if you need a rifle.

18.5 inch barrel with 1.5 inch choke


16 inch carbine in 40 S&W


16 inch carbine in 223 Remington


What I think you really need.


Jim
__________________
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
No you don't. When the choke is installed it is 20 inches, that is not that much shorter than 23 inches, so I do not see the need to switch barrels. What you need is a handgun or 16 inch carbine if you need a rifle.

18.5 inch barrel with 1.5 inch choke


16 inch carbine in 40 S&W


16 inch carbine in 223 Remington


What I think you really need.


Jim
I guess I am late to the whole Handgun VS. Shotgun debate. I have trained a lot with my 870 and I feel comfortable having that more so than a handgun. There are many advantages to either one, it really just comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I like your setup. As far as I know, remington barrels have the rem-choke system in them so I am not sure that would surpass the length.
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

It sounds like you are using a smooth bore and shot in the gun. I could see spending the extra money for another barrel if you get it as a rifled barrel and use slugs then it can be used for deer hunting as well (a good excuse to buy another barrel).

Mine is a smooth bore and uses 00 buck shot, but I have Foster Slugs for it as well.

Jim

__________________
bigjim is offline  
Doc3402 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,748
Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default

With shotguns barrel length is irrelevant for velocity and spread of shot pattern its all about the choke. Longer barrels make it muuuuuuch easier to aim without a reflex type rds sight.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,183
Liked 2220 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Default

I had fun with an 18" barrel shooting low flying skeet.

__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
molonlabexx Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 972
Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
It sounds like you are using a smooth bore and shot in the gun. I could see spending the extra money for another barrel if you get it as a rifled barrel and use slugs then it can be used for deer hunting as well (a good excuse to buy another barrel).

Mine is a smooth bore and uses 00 buck shot, but I have Foster Slugs for it as well.

Jim
Shotguns, surprisingly, were the last type of gun I really learned about, and with everything else I am still learning more about firearms every day.

As far as I am aware, foster slugs are for bores that aren't smooth and can be fired with any choke, right?
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,912
Liked 9156 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

Default

Foster slugs (actually, Forster, but nobody calls them that) are for smoothbores, and yes, can be safely fired thru any choke EXCEPT Extra Full (normally only found with turkey hunters). The Sabot slug is used with rifled barrels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug#Brenneke_slugs

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
How do you make a "homemade" barrel strut for the mini 14? GarandGuy42 Mini-14 Forum 5 11-19-2012 11:42 PM
My local range has a "lead barrel" for firing high powered rifles? What is that? TheNYResistance General Rifle Discussion 9 11-16-2012 11:48 PM
Have any of you Mosin lovers done a "heavy target barrel" swap? orangello Curio & Relic Discussion 16 09-01-2011 11:53 AM
20" or 24" Barrel Suggestion/Opinions WoodysKJ AR-15 Discussion 21 03-10-2011 02:45 PM
Question about Glock & "Unsupported" Barrel trainer343 Glock Forum 22 09-22-2010 12:05 PM